Question Have you ever got ripped off by not getting what you had paid for.

Ok first a warning to everyone about using manufacturers names , for legal reasons dont say the company just say the item .. example a hard drive.
So the reason i made this thread is because i have just watched a you tube video of somebody in usa ( i am in england ) reviewing a *** gaming pc : hpw tp do everything wrong !
The video opens with the guy showing you the invoice but the pc he got in the box was a different model of half the value of what he paid.
You see all the components and they were the wrong ones , you see very tacky wiring and hot melt glue on plugs to stop them moving.
Part way through the video he calls customer services and they just say sorry for the mistake !
The 2 main points he raised were.
1, How do you remove a cable to maybe change or move for an upgrade when its glued in.
2. How many parents would do what he did ..... that is .... take it apart to see if he got what he paid for.

Note the video was not a one off , 2 other reviewer's made videos of the companies other pc's on the strength of rumours they had heard.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok first a warning to everyone about using manufacturers names , for legal reasons dont say the company just say the item .. example a hard drive.
So the reason i made this thread is because i have just watched a you tube video of somebody in usa ( i am in england ) reviewing a *** gaming pc : hpw tp do everything wrong !
The video opens with the guy showing you the invoice but the pc he got in the box was a different model of half the value of what he paid.
You see all the components and they were the wrong ones , you see very tacky wiring and hot melt glue on plugs to stop them moving.
Part way through the video he calls customer services and they just say sorry for the mistake !
The 2 main points he raised were.
1, How do you remove a cable to maybe change or move for an upgrade when its glued in.
2. How many parents would do what he did ..... that is .... take it apart to see if he got what he paid for.

Note the video was not a one off , 2 other reviewer's made videos of the companies other pc's on the strength of rumours they had heard.
That is what credit cards are for. Dispute the charge. Credit card companies have the muscle.

Reactions: stingray230sx
I don’t recall ever being ‘ripped off’ but I always do my homework on any material purchases.

I have had issues but ultimately they always got resolved. I do always use a credit card for the extra protection.

We do have some of the best consumer rights in the UK so any decent company will abide by them and the less decent just need reminding.

I did help my parents who were in their 70’s at the time with a windows (physical windows) sale they got pressured into. I checked my facts with Citizens Advice and then a couple of firm and factual calls to the company and I got the matter resolved.

USAFRet

Titan
Ripped off?
Not really.

Gotten the wrong thing?
Sure.

Keypad door lock.
Open the box, "oops, this is the wrong one."
Amazon return...the new shipment was in the pipeline before I got home from the UPS store.
Correct one arrived the next day

$1500 cedar and metal roof gazebo
Only 1/2 arrived.
Took several months and a LOT of back and forth, but eventually got the correct stuff.

Specialty cheese, from Amazon.
No delivery, much yelling at them...eventually I just had to threaten a poor Amazon review. "I want my cheese, or I want my money. You have until Friday to provide one or the other"

The one that really pissed me off was a bogus OS install on a refurbished laptop.

A gaming PC that was wrong out of the box?
No question....send it back the same day.

Colif

Win 11 Master
20 years ago when I didn't know anything about what went inside a PC, I probably got ripped off. But as I grew to learn more about these things, the places I trust to buy things has shifted. Early on only place to get PC gear around here were roaming markets, who were difficult to get returns to, but now I just use websites and I try to pick ones I trust. I wouldn't use Amazon if you paid me.

I have always tried to find out about what I am getting before I buy it, I used to try to fix problems before I got them... which doesn't help if you misunderstand parts of how PC work, and make things worse. I have gotten better, I wait for problems now. I still try to avoid buying things with known problems.

Helping here is a great way to learn what not to do.

TRENDING THREADS