Question Have you ever seen a PC motherboard that has no CPU socket ?

Jun 21, 2022
I've been looking for a motherboard for my new build and I saw an interesting one.
It has an onboard processor which means i don't have to pay another big sum for intel cpu.
Strangely it is an intel core i7-11800h which is supposed to be mobile.
The seller posts cpu-z and it looks like a powerful core.
Have you ever seen this?
Probably i'll try... :unsure:
here's what i found :
Gaming PC Motherboard with Embedded CPU i7 11800H (Ready to Use) 2.3GHz 8Cores 16Threads HM570 Chipset Mainboard| | - AliExpress

KyaraM

Admirable
They do exist, but usually they aren't ATX or ITX boards and often resemble laptop mainboards more than anything. Most of the time, they are meant for NUCs and similar small form factor systems. In any case, I wouldn't look at Aliexpress if you can help it... too shady for my taste.

Edit: careful. The link CPU-Z image is from the 11700, not the 11800H! The 11800H would be weaker since it's a mobile chip and the 11700 a desktop chip! it also has a higher base frequency (2.9GHz) than the mobile variant (2.3GHz).

Jun 21, 2022
They do exist, but usually they aren't ATX or ITX boards and often resemble laptop mainboards more than anything. Most of the time, they are meant for NUCs and similar small form factor systems. In any case, I wouldn't look at Aliexpress if you can help it... too shady for my taste.

Edit: careful. The link CPU-Z image is from the 11700, not the 11800H! The 11800H would be weaker since it's a mobile chip and the 11700 a desktop chip! it also has a higher base frequency (2.9GHz) than the mobile variant (2.3GHz).
Thanks for the info. Just checked further. CPU-Z image shows it's a i7-11800H (2.3GHz), and reference is i7-10700 (2.9GHz), reasonable performance. It could be a choice when in tight budget🤣🤣🤣

KyaraM

Admirable
Thanks for the info. Just checked further. CPU-Z image shows it's a i7-11800H (2.3GHz), and reference is i7-10700 (2.9GHz), reasonable performance. It could be a choice when in tight budget🤣🤣🤣
Ah, true, I only took a short glance and missed that. The single thread performance looks amiss, though...

Anyways, as Terry stated above, a 12400F and B660 board would be similar in price at better performance, and you can get it from more reputable sellers than Aliexpress, so that would be my first choice honestly. Again, I wouldn't trust that seller and website at all.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Another;

https://www.techpowerup.com/289244/...oard-with-integrated-intel-core-i7-11800h-cpu

Might seem there's value in something like that, more convenience driven not needing to install a cpu i guess, which isn't hard or an inconvenience really, maybe to some it is, but motherboard quality and vendor support is the bigger question. If manufacturer of these bundles don't sell a lot of them, difficult to know, then you'd bet resources devoted to their support team would be questionable.

Interesting concept but a hole you'd might want to skip over.

Seems reasonable to me.
The 11700 and 11800H have similar performance with a nod to the 11800H
Here are the respective passmark test results:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net
/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-11700+@+2.50GHz&id=3947

I don't know about the selling source.

And, a cpu upgrade rarely happens in real life.
By the time a cpu upgrade is wanted, there are more compelling cpu upgrades available that include a new motherboard.