[SOLVED] Have you heard of this PSU?

Solution
Hi, dont really quite understand " it only has 24A on the 12v rail which is 288w (24x12v) which is terrible. " what this means. :((
what is the use of pci power cables ??

As i might getting a ryzen 3 3200g and a a320m motherboard ( dunno which brand to choose )
then came across this Ryzen 3 3200g + MSI pro max motherboard this URL. Is this one good ?
Initially i was planning to get a ryzen 3 2200g, but it seem it is not selling online, have to choose to pick the 3200g.
What psu would you recommend for this build ?
It has the signs of being a terrible quality. It’s a no name brand, it lies about it’s wattage as it is not 500w. It is closer to 300w as it only has 288w on the 12v. Also not having pci power cables is...
It only has 24A on the 12v rail which is 288w (24x12v) which is terrible. This would be what a 300w psu could do. A high quality 500w psu will deliver nearly all 500w on the 12v. There are other signs it’s poor quality like only supporting 220v which means it’s a very old/basic design. It also has no pci power cables. This psu looks like complete hazardous junk.

Reactions: King_V

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
It only has 24A on the 12v rail which is 288w (24x12v) which is terrible. This would be what a 300w psu could do. A high quality 500w psu will deliver nearly all 500w on the 12v. There are other signs it’s poor quality like only supporting 220v which means it’s a very old/basic design. It also has no pci power cables. This psu looks like complete hazardous junk.

Hi, dont really quite understand " it only has 24A on the 12v rail which is 288w (24x12v) which is terrible. " what this means. :((

As i might getting a ryzen 3 3200g and a a320m motherboard ( dunno which brand to choose )
then came across this Ryzen 3 3200g + MSI pro max motherboard this URL. Is this one good ?
Initially i was planning to get a ryzen 3 2200g, but it seem it is not selling online, have to choose to pick the 3200g.

It has the signs of being a terrible quality. It’s a no name brand, it lies about it’s wattage as it is not 500w. It is closer to 300w as it only has 288w on the 12v. Also not having pci power cables is another sign of a poor quality psu. I would not use that psu in any pc.

Solution
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...4k.searchlist.list.20.49542f92DQ4dI5&search=1

Absolutete cheapest reliable psu I can find on that site, still not incredible but at least its going to be safe and stable.

Only recommending this because I can see you're on a tight budget and psu stock is limited or over expensive in Malaysia.

That psu being oem does not come with a power cable to connect to the mains, hopefully you already have one from a previous computer??

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
It has the signs of being a terrible quality. It’s a no name brand, it lies about it’s wattage as it is not 500w. It is closer to 300w as it only has 288w on the 12v. Also not having pci power cables is another sign of a poor quality psu. I would not use that psu in any pc.

i see, To calculate is the voltage is check the 12v? and it can supply 24A ? Therefore 12x24 = 288w ??
https://shopee.com.my/Salpido-Power-Supply-Unit-i.46733971.999282890 As in the Yellow category ( 12v)

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...4k.searchlist.list.20.49542f92DQ4dI5&search=1

Absolutete cheapest reliable psu I can find on that site, still not incredible but at least its going to be safe and stable.

Only recommending this because I can see you're on a tight budget and psu stock is limited or over expensive in Malaysia.

That psu being oem does not come with a power cable to connect to the mains, hopefully you already have one from a previous computer??

you mean https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...4k.searchlist.list.20.49542f92DQ4dI5&search=1 this psu ?
RM180 is quite pricy though. and it is a no name brand too.

you mean https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...4k.searchlist.list.20.49542f92DQ4dI5&search=1 this psu ?
RM180 is quite pricy though. and it is a no name brand too.

Its not a no name brand, its FSP branded.
FSP actually manufacture psu's as opposed to the majority of Psu's you'll see who are generally made my someone else and rebadged.

I've had a look, that is THE cheapest psu available that is actually fairly decent quality.

FSP are fairly consistent in that they don't manufacture any psu's that could actually be considered unreliable or dangerous.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
Its not a no name brand, its FSP branded.
FSP actually manufacture psu's as opposed to the majority of Psu's you'll see who are generally made my someone else and rebadged.

I've had a look, that is THE cheapest psu available that is actually fairly decent quality.

FSP are fairly consistent in that they don't manufacture any psu's that could actually be considered unreliable or dangerous.

but there is not view on the product though.
What is the watt for this psu ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This site does not allow direct posting/uploading of files. You need to use a 3rd party web host like Postimages.org or imgur etc. The url is the link to the uploaded picture.

Modern pc's use primarily 12v. Fans, cpu, gpu all use 12v. About the only thing that now uses 3.3v is the logic circuits on the motherboard, and basically only storage and USB uses 5v+. So demand on the minor rails has gone WAY down, and demand on the Major rail has gone WAY up. Having a psu with very high minor rails, (3.3v/5v+ are at 26A each) and very low Major rail (12v is at 24A) puts the platform at over 10year old design.

For modern pc's, when the recommended wattage is 500w, it means most of the supporting wattage should be from the most used rail, 12v should be well into 460w+ range.

A good quality psu will have a minimum of 5 year warranty. That's saying the company has enough faith in the design that it will not fail or fall below rated outputs for 5 years. The psu you linked has a 1 year warranty. I've not seen that on a decent psu in 20+ years. Even back in the day, quality, decent psus had a 3 year warranty. The best psus now come with 10+ year warranty.

Pcie cable is PCI-Express. That's the power cable to the gpu. A decent 500w psu should have a minimum of 1x 6pin and 1x 6+2 pin cable and be able to power a modern gpu that requires both. The total lack of PCI-E cable on that unit means even the manufacturer thinks it will not power even the smallest 6pin gpu.

It's a fire hazard waiting to blow up your pc. There's a reason it is so cheap.

If a loaf of fresh bread usually costs about RM3 in the store, and you run into a guy selling bread out of a van on the side of the road, RM1 each, buy 2 get one free, then exactly how trusting would you be that the bread he sells isn't already over a week old and possibly/probably stale or even moldy.

Psus for the most part follow a simple basic rule. You get what you pay for. If you buy the very cheapest, it's not going to last very long (if at all) and has no protections inside, and nothing stopping it from blowing up and taking out other components. House fires started from pc power supplies are a REAL thing, no lie.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

This is YOU. No lie.

Last edited:

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
This site does not allow direct posting/uploading of files. You need to use a 3rd party web host like Postimages.org or imgur etc. The url is the link to the uploaded picture.

Modern pc's use primarily 12v. Fans, cpu, gpu all use 12v. About the only thing that now uses 3.3v is the logic circuits on the motherboard, and basically only storage and USB uses 5v+. So demand on the minor rails has gone WAY down, and demand on the Major rail has gone WAY up. Having a psu with very high minor rails, (3.3v/5v+ are at 26A each) and very low Major rail (12v is at 24A) puts the platform at over 10year old design.

For modern pc's, when the recommended wattage is 500w, it means most of the supporting wattage should be from the most used rail, 12v should be well into 460w+ range.

A good quality psu will have a minimum of 5 year warranty. That's saying the company has enough faith in the design that it will not fail or fall below rated outputs for 5 years. The psu you linked has a 1 year warranty. I've not seen that on a decent psu in 20+ years. Even back in the day, quality, decent psus had a 3 year warranty. The best psus now come with 10+ year warranty.

Pcie cable is PCI-Express. That's the power cable to the gpu. A decent 500w psu should have a minimum of 1x 6pin and 1x 6+2 pin cable and be able to power a modern gpu that requires both. The total lack of PCI-E cable on that unit means even the manufacturer thinks it will not power even the smallest 6pin gpu.

It's a fire hazard waiting to blow up your pc. There's a reason it is so cheap.

If a loaf of fresh bread usually costs about RM3 in the store, and you run into a guy selling bread out of a van on the side of the road, RM1 each, buy 2 get one free, then exactly how trusting would you be that the bread he sells isn't already over a week old and possibly/probably stale or even moldy.

Psus for the most part follow a simple basic rule. You get what you pay for. If you buy the very cheapest, it's not going to last very long (if at all) and has no protections inside, and nothing stopping it from blowing up and taking out other components. House fires started from pc power supplies are a REAL thing, no lie.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M

This is YOU. No lie.

Okay, My Old PSU, this is my old psu, see whether it can support my new build ( 1st time building)
ryzen 3 3200g - 1 Processor + mobo
msi a320m a-pro max - 1
ADATA 4GB DDR4 2666MHz UNBUFFERED-DIMM - 2 pcs Ram Link
Western Digital M.2 SATA Green 240GB - 1 m.2 Sata Link
or
Silicon Power A55 SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA III 256GB - Silicon Power SSD Link

All the above price is below RM1k

Does my old psu can support the above build ? (if possible how to calculate the total watt needed) ?
Thanks

Okay, My Old PSU, this is my old psu, see whether it can support my new build ( 1st time building)
ryzen 3 3200g - 1 Processor + mobo
msi a320m a-pro max - 1
ADATA 4GB DDR4 2666MHz UNBUFFERED-DIMM - 2 pcs Ram Link
Western Digital M.2 SATA Green 240GB - 1 m.2 Sata Link
or
Silicon Power A55 SSD 3D TLC NAND SATA III 256GB - Silicon Power SSD Link

All the above price is below RM1k

Does my old psu can support the above build ? (if possible how to calculate the total watt needed) ?
Thanks

It can support it easily, it's better spec wise than the one you were considering buying.

Its probably still a very poor quality psu but it's not as poor as the salpido one.

Thats just going off the wattage table you posted.
I can't really say any more than that.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
It can support it easily, it's better spec wise than the one you were considering buying.

Its probably still a very poor quality psu but it's not as poor as the salpido one.

Thats just going off the wattage table you posted.
I can't really say any more than that.

what do you mean by this " Thats just going off the wattage table you posted. " ?

This one is ideal for my above build ?? around 420w (how do you know 420w is enough for my above build ) ? o_Oo_O
( i searched around it seem like a decent psu is above RM100+ )

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Low priced PSUs should generally be avoided. There ARE a few good budget PSUs available, but, unfortunately, the pandemic has sent the prices of even those to much higher than normal.

The ones left that are low priced are dangerous.

Going by the wattage table is looking at the picture of the label you posted, and seeing that the combined 12V1 and 12V2 rails offer a total of 384W on the 12V rail(s). That is much more than the 288W on the 12V rail(s) that the Salpido model offers.

We can determine that it is enough because the power demands of a motherboard, plus a 3200g, are fairly low.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
FSP is an OEM, there's really only a handful of those. They build platforms and psus for all the brand names. Seasonic and SuperFlower are OEMs as are Greatwall, Andyson, Flextronics, Delta, HEC Compucase etc. Some OEMs also have a house brand psu. Seasonic, FSP, SuperFlower, HEC Compucase.

Some of those house brands have some of the best psus made, Seasonic mostly. Some have some of the worst, like HEC Compucase. As an OEM, HEC Compucase is capable and does manufacture some very decent platforms for other ppl, it's just their own stuff that sucks. FSP makes some of the best too, for others, but many of their house brand are quite decent.

Your current (old) psu is a very, very old Group regulated design, you can tell by its huge amperages on the minor rails 32A and 30A, on a 450w rated psu is obscenely large. From back in the day when you needed that kind of high amperage rails. The problem lies in it being so off balance.

150w + 384w does not add up to 436w as stated. Basically the higher the use of the 3.3v and 5v rails, the lower the rated output of the 12v rail. Combined, you supposedly get 436w total, but if you have 100w on the minor rails, you'll only get 336w on the 12v rail, regardless of its capable max. That's when you see ppl plugging in a gpu and the psu goes 'poof' and smokes. They are expecting 380w, counting on the psu to deliver, and it refuses.

Very poor quality. Absolutely. Very bad output voltage regulation, almost certainly. Will it run your low demand pc, most probably since your entire pc will only be using @ 200w at most. If you add a smaller gpu like a Rx460, 'poof'. You'll be limited to only gpus that do not require a power plug which is the kind that gets all its power from the slot the gpu sits in.

what do you mean by this " Thats just going off the wattage table you posted. " ?

This one is ideal for my above build ?? around 420w (how do you know 420w is enough for my above build ) ? o_Oo_O
( i searched around it seem like a decent psu is above RM100+ )

Your old psu is actually better than the salpida one you were considering buying.
That's what I'm saying, the salpida with its 500w badge is literally a 250w psu.

Your old icute one I think? Is badged as a 450w and that's actually what it is, just about at least.

The fsp one?
Yes it will run your system, it's without a doubt better quality than either of the others you've posted.
Would I buy it for myself? No because I'm not budget limited.

You are though and I'm trying to steer you away from units that are actually dangerous to use.

The FSP is unspectacular, its a low end group regulated, low wattage unit.

Its cheap (within your budget just), it has enough power to run that system, it'll allow a gpu upgrade in the future (upto a card pulling 150w at least), it won't blow up or catch fire

The salpida one very probably would at some point in the future.

I could recommend something better but it would be 2-3x the price which is obviously money you can't spend at the moment.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
150w + 384w does not add up to 436w as stated. Basically the higher the use of the 3.3v and 5v rails, the lower the rated output of the 12v rail. Combined, you supposedly get 436w total, but if you have 100w on the minor rails, you'll only get 336w on the 12v rail, regardless of its capable max. That's when you see ppl plugging in a gpu and the psu goes 'poof' and smokes. They are expecting 380w, counting on the psu to deliver, and it refuses.

Very poor quality. Absolutely. Very bad output voltage regulation, almost certainly. Will it run your low demand pc, most probably since your entire pc will only be using @ 200w at most. If you add a smaller gpu like a Rx460, 'poof'. You'll be limited to only gpus that do not require a power plug which is the kind that gets all its power from the slot the gpu sits in.

isn't it 150w on the minor rails (3.3v +5v rails)? then it would only deliver 384w on 12v rail ??
" They are expecting 380w, counting on the psu to deliver, and it refuses. "
-> does gpu really needs such high power voltage ??

"most probably since your entire pc will only be using @ 200w at most"
-> how do you know that it will only use 200w at most?

Low priced PSUs should generally be avoided. There ARE a few good budget PSUs available, but, unfortunately, the pandemic has sent the prices of even those to much higher than normal.

The ones left that are low priced are dangerous.

Going by the wattage table is looking at the picture of the label you posted, and seeing that the combined 12V1 and 12V2 rails offer a total of 384W on the 12V rail(s). That is much more than the 288W on the 12V rail(s) that the Salpido model offers.

We can determine that it is enough because the power demands of a motherboard, plus a 3200g, are fairly low.

" We can determine that it is enough because the power demands of a motherboard, plus a 3200g, are fairly low. "
-> How though ?

Your old psu is actually better than the salpida one you were considering buying.
That's what I'm saying, the salpida with its 500w badge is literally a 250w psu.

Your old icute one I think? Is badged as a 450w and that's actually what it is, just about at least.

The fsp one?
Yes it will run your system, it's without a doubt better quality than either of the others you've posted.
Would I buy it for myself? No because I'm not budget limited.

You are though and I'm trying to steer you away from units that are actually dangerous to use.

The FSP is unspectacular, its a low end group regulated, low wattage unit.

Its cheap (within your budget just), it has enough power to run that system, it'll allow a gpu upgrade in the future (upto a card pulling 150w at least), it won't blow up or catch fire

The salpida one very probably would at some point in the future.

I could recommend something better but it would be 2-3x the price which is obviously money you can't spend at the moment.

" t'll allow a gpu upgrade in the future (upto a card pulling 150w at least) "
-> how to know that it can support a gpu up to only 150w ??
-> and how to determine the output watts from psu needed for the particular gpu ?

Last edited:
isn't it 150w on the minor rails (3.3v +5v rails)? then it would only deliver 384w on 12v rail ??
" They are expecting 380w, counting on the psu to deliver, and it refuses. "
-> does gpu really needs such high power voltage ??

"most probably since your entire pc will only be using @ 200w at most"
-> how do you know that it will only use 200w at most?

" We can determine that it is enough because the power demands of a motherboard, plus a 3200g, are fairly low. "
-> How though ?

" t'll allow a gpu upgrade in the future (upto a card pulling 150w at least) "
-> how to know that it can support a gpu up to only 150w ??
-> and how to determine the output watts from psu needed for the particular gpu ?

All the components on a computer have power usage listing, video card, CPU are the main ones, plus whatever else you install like a drive and RAM which won't be much. Add up the max rating for power draw for those, add another 25-30% and you will have the wattage of a good quality PSU you should get. You may want to do some reading about building computers before asking more questions, seems you need to do a bit more research into that before you start.

Reactions: King_V

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu will generally pull @ 100w ± for the smaller cpus, APU's. Everything else attached to the motherboard, such as fans and ram and storage etc will Maybe use another 100w. @200w is in the general vacinity of what most smaller power pc's will max out at. Once you add in a gpu, then that changes. Gpus pull anywhere from @ 20w to 320w by themselves.

So figuring a more average pc, that's 100w for cpu, 100w for motherboard, 185w for gpu. That adds up to 385w ±. Which happens to be 70% of a good quality psu. There are several reasons not to go with 100% wattage limits. Quality psus are built to withstand 100% continuous loads, others are not. At 100% loads, that's maximum heat generated. At 100% you get lower efficiency. The best thermal and wattage efficiency are found at @ 50-70% load on the psu.

So with a max of 70% load at 550w, and gaming loads of @ 70% of max, for a average pc with @ 180w gpu, a 550w is recommended, putting most of your heavy usage between the 50-70% loads.

That's assuming a quality psu. Generic psus like all the ones you've mentioned will not hit rated loads, will not hit rated wattage output. Your psu (supposedly) will output 436w Total. That's a balance of the minor and major rail. 150+384 = 534. Psu is rated 436. So as you use more minor rail, the major rail suffers, keeping the balance at 436 max. Supposedly. The rails only use maximum when the other rails aren't.

It's like you can lift 100lbs in each arm seperately, but only 150lbs total with both arms simultaneously.

Back in the day, there was much heavier usage of the minor rails, not now, now most of the power is 12v based. Cpu, gpu, fans all are 12v. So out of that 436w, you have 384 on 12v rail, leaving @ 100w on the minor rails, Not the 150w rated.

Most of those very cheap psus cannot withstand even a momentary 100% load, they burn out, fail, blow up anywhere after @ 50% load. Meaning you have a psu that'd be ok for @ 200w ish on the 12v rail if the max is 384w. Anything more than that is playing Russian Roulette with a 6 shot pistol and 5 loaded chambers.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
All the components on a computer have power usage listing, video card, CPU are the main ones, plus whatever else you install like a drive and RAM which won't be much. Add up the max rating for power draw for those, add another 25-30% and you will have the wattage of a good quality PSU you should get. You may want to do some reading about building computers before asking more questions, seems you need to do a bit more research into that before you start.

actually i have been reading about building computer since middle of last year ( where the parts are cheaper than now ). It seem i am not good in researching stuff. Any Tips for it ??

Cpu will generally pull @ 100w ± for the smaller cpus, APU's. Everything else attached to the motherboard, such as fans and ram and storage etc will Maybe use another 100w. @200w is in the general vacinity of what most smaller power pc's will max out at. Once you add in a gpu, then that changes. Gpus pull anywhere from @ 20w to 320w by themselves.

So figuring a more average pc, that's 100w for cpu, 100w for motherboard, 185w for gpu. That adds up to 385w ±. Which happens to be 70% of a good quality psu. There are several reasons not to go with 100% wattage limits. Quality psus are built to withstand 100% continuous loads, others are not. At 100% loads, that's maximum heat generated. At 100% you get lower efficiency. The best thermal and wattage efficiency are found at @ 50-70% load on the psu.

So with a max of 70% load at 550w, and gaming loads of @ 70% of max, for a average pc with @ 180w gpu, a 550w is recommended, putting most of your heavy usage between the 50-70% loads.

That's assuming a quality psu. Generic psus like all the ones you've mentioned will not hit rated loads, will not hit rated wattage output. Your psu (supposedly) will output 436w Total. That's a balance of the minor and major rail. 150+384 = 534. Psu is rated 436. So as you use more minor rail, the major rail suffers, keeping the balance at 436 max. Supposedly. The rails only use maximum when the other rails aren't.

It's like you can lift 100lbs in each arm seperately, but only 150lbs total with both arms simultaneously.

Back in the day, there was much heavier usage of the minor rails, not now, now most of the power is 12v based. Cpu, gpu, fans all are 12v. So out of that 436w, you have 384 on 12v rail, leaving @ 100w on the minor rails, Not the 150w rated.

Most of those very cheap psus cannot withstand even a momentary 100% load, they burn out, fail, blow up anywhere after @ 50% load. Meaning you have a psu that'd be ok for @ 200w ish on the 12v rail if the max is 384w. Anything more than that is playing Russian Roulette with a 6 shot pistol and 5 loaded chambers.

i see, now it makes sense....

" leaving @ 100w on the minor rails, Not the 150w rated. "
-> sorry, not quite what you mean by not the 150w rated ??

What are the minor rails for? for the cpu fan, case fan, ssd, hdd, m.2 , 24pin connector ?
As the major rails are for cpu and gpu.

what are the quality psu that you are referring to ?? ( a few brand if possible as wanna compare the prices )

The watt of different brand works the same ? (for example "A" brand 550w quality psu works to same or equal to "B" brand 550w quality psu )

So which mean enough though the quality psu can support up to 70% load, if both minor and major rails used at the same time, it may only be 50% of the load (drop from 70%) ?

Last edited:
Read this https://www.newegg.com/insider/how-to-choose-a-pc-power-supply-buying-guide/

For some more detail http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?1036-The-quot-power-supply-FAQ-quot

A fairly quick way to find out if you are getting a good quality power supply is to look at the warranty. A good model would have a 5-10 year warranty. If you want to know what models to get there are tons of suggestions specifically for models, EVGA SuperNova line, Corsair CX and higher models, almost all Seasonic units, FSP, some Cooler Master models, they are all listed on the forums in other replies.

If you want to just find out about power supplies read the available articles, find some videos, etc...

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
Read this https://www.newegg.com/insider/how-to-choose-a-pc-power-supply-buying-guide/

For some more detail http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?1036-The-quot-power-supply-FAQ-quot

A fairly quick way to find out if you are getting a good quality power supply is to look at the warranty. A good model would have a 5-10 year warranty. If you want to know what models to get there are tons of suggestions specifically for models, EVGA SuperNova line, Corsair CX and higher models, almost all Seasonic units, FSP, some Cooler Master models, they are all listed on the forums in other replies.

If you want to just find out about power supplies read the available articles, find some videos, etc...

okay, thank you........
btw i came across Athlon 3000G during my search, it seem that it been released last year 2019, 2 core 2 thread. Was wondering whether this Athlon 3000G can withstand ( no lag) when having multiple tabs open on chrome, and at the same time running visual studio, xamp etc....

okay, thank you........
btw i came across Athlon 3000G during my search, it seem that it been released last year 2019, 2 core 2 thread. Was wondering whether this Athlon 3000G can withstand ( no lag) when having multiple tabs open on chrome, and at the same time running visual studio, xamp etc....

Its a dual core with smt so 4 threads not 2.

So yes it'll handle those tasks ok.

Dont expect to game on it though, it doea out you on a good upgradeable platform.