[SOLVED] Have you heard of this PSU?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
Hi, dont really quite understand " it only has 24A on the 12v rail which is 288w (24x12v) which is terrible. " what this means. :((
what is the use of pci power cables ??

As i might getting a ryzen 3 3200g and a a320m motherboard ( dunno which brand to choose )
then came across this Ryzen 3 3200g + MSI pro max motherboard this URL. Is this one good ?
Initially i was planning to get a ryzen 3 2200g, but it seem it is not selling online, have to choose to pick the 3200g.
What psu would you recommend for this build ?
It has the signs of being a terrible quality. It’s a no name brand, it lies about it’s wattage as it is not 500w. It is closer to 300w as it only has 288w on the 12v. Also not having pci power cables is...

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
Its a dual core with smt so 4 threads not 2.

So yes it'll handle those tasks ok.

Dont expect to game on it though, it doea out you on a good upgradeable platform.

" So yes it'll handle those tasks ok."
Will the Athlon 3000 last long ? like 10 years or so ?? As it it just a first gen processor.....
As once the build is done, i will not touch it anymore which include no future upgrade or so. Just leave it there and forget about it.

Was wondering, as 2 core and 4 threads are enough for programming program , watching drama online, office work. Why would people pay more for that ?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Will the Athlon 3000 last long ? like 10 years or so ?? As it it just a first gen processor.....
As once the build is done, i will not touch it anymore which include no future upgrade or so. Just leave it there and forget about it.

It will likely physically work forever, though the other parts will likely fail or become obsolete long before forever.

It's really hard to guarantee an entry-level rig will still meet your needs in ten years, which is an enormous amount of time. It'll probably surf the web and read email in ten years, but I wouldn't count on it being useful for productive needs in ten years. Going back to an equivalent CPU from ten years ago, something like a Pentium G6950 pre-Sandy Bridge, and that's probably been painful to use for anything but checking Gmail for awhile.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
It will likely physically work forever, though the other parts will likely fail or become obsolete long before forever.

It's really hard to guarantee an entry-level rig will still meet your needs in ten years, which is an enormous amount of time. It'll probably surf the web and read email in ten years, but I wouldn't count on it being useful for productive needs in ten years. Going back to an equivalent CPU from ten years ago, something like a Pentium G6950 pre-Sandy Bridge, and that's probably been painful to use for anything but checking Gmail for awhile.

wah, which mean i am lucky that my old can survive for quite a long time, but then what u said " painful to use for anything but checking Gmail for awhile. " is true as it is quite slow.
my build that died (last month)

was AMD Athlon 64 x2 (which is why i need to build a new one)
The retail shop told me that it one of the capacitor bloated, which result in the whole pc unable to boot up. (fyi , last year i changed 2 memory stick (DDR2 for RM100+) and also the cmos battery.

https://postimg.cc/VdpKj8WL (This is the mobo that my old build died )
https://postimg.cc/K1TJfH07 ( This is the capacitor, the 2nd one is more bloated than the 1st one) -> Which is why the mobo cannot bot, <- The shop retail told me this

Was wondering, as 2 core and 4 threads are enough for programming program , watching drama online, office work. Why would people pay more for that ?

I dont think people do purposefully pay more.

Just before the amd apu's with integrated graphics released intel had a huge monopology on cpu's suitable for desktop use because they had integrated graphics and amd didn't .

I3's (2c/4t) in that respect were the minimum and they've generally been overpriced over the years.

The athlon is probably ideal for your use in all honesty, its not going to struggle with any of your mentioned tasks.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
I dont think people do purposefully pay more.

Just before the amd apu's with integrated graphics released intel had a huge monopology on cpu's suitable for desktop use because they had integrated graphics and amd didn't .

I3's (2c/4t) in that respect were the minimum and they've generally been overpriced over the years.

The athlon is probably ideal for your use in all honesty, its not going to struggle with any of your mentioned tasks.

hmm which means nowadays most people build a new rig is because of gaming or editing ?? but i guess more people are into gaming ? which can i relate to why people wanna get ryzen 5 or higher is because gaming?

" The athlon is probably ideal for your use in all honesty, its not going to struggle with any of your mentioned tasks. "
-> wanna confirm again ya.. so the Athlon 3000G is ideal for opening more than 10 tabs in chrome, running sql database, visual studio, virtual machine, pdf, word, excel, and other programming program simultaneously ( as i tend to multitask alot). without any trouble??

*Do the Athlon 3000G loses it performances in like 5 -6 years? where the speed performance is getting slower (lag) by each coming years? **

https://postimg.cc/ThN50WXR if i were to use Athlon 3000g, does this psu able to support ?

In what situation would i go for the ryzen 3 3200g ??

Thanks..

Last edited:
hmm which means nowadays most people build a new rig is because of gaming or editing ?? but i guess more people are into gaming ? which can i relate to why people wanna get ryzen 5 or higher is because gaming?

" The athlon is probably ideal for your use in all honesty, its not going to struggle with any of your mentioned tasks. "
-> wanna confirm again ya.. so the Athlon 3000G is ideal for opening more than 10 tabs in chrome, running sql database, visual studio, virtual machine, pdf, word, excel, and other programming program simultaneously ( as i tend to multitask alot). without any trouble??

Do the Athlon 3000G loses it performances in like 5 -6 years? where the speed performance is getting slower (lag) by each coming years? *

https://postimg.cc/ThN50WXR if i were to use Athlon 3000g, does this psu able to support ?

In what situation would i go for the ryzen 3 3200g ??

Thanks..

Most people that actually build computers do it for more demanding tasks, and if they do build with slower parts it's due to need, but still mostly for gaming.

I would not use that Athlon CPU for databases, visual studio, virtual machines that is too high of a work load for it to run well. For basic programming tasks with only a few programs open it's fine, as well as for general use like documents or videos. For running VMs, etc.., you would want a higher spec system.

The CPUs don't lose performance over time, it's just that programs tend to need faster CPUs or software changes make that software run less efficient or cause bugs (say a new driver that slows the computer down).

Just by looking at the PSU label I can see it's a low quality one so no it's not a good idea to use that. The power rating is fine, but it has a much greater chance of failing and/or damaging other components.

Molly1_2

Commendable
Jul 31, 2020
Most people that actually build computers do it for more demanding tasks, and if they do build with slower parts it's due to need, but still mostly for gaming.

I would not use that Athlon CPU for databases, visual studio, virtual machines that is too high of a work load for it to run well. For basic programming tasks with only a few programs open it's fine, as well as for general use like documents or videos. For running VMs, etc.., you would want a higher spec system.

The CPUs don't lose performance over time, it's just that programs tend to need faster CPUs or software changes make that software run less efficient or cause bugs (say a new driver that slows the computer down).

Just by looking at the PSU label I can see it's a low quality one so no it's not a good idea to use that. The power rating is fine, but it has a much greater chance of failing and/or damaging other components.

okay, it seem athlon 3000G cannot last for more than 10 years as windows 10 keep on updating, and google chrome keep on eating more core and ram......

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/...o4k.searchlist.list.5.7b80116f2PrnZz&search=1
AVF Power Supply ATX 500W (PS500-F12BN)
What do you think of this power supply ??

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS