[SOLVED] Haven't a clue where this loud noise is coming from. Looking for help!

Cwreck

Honorable
Feb 16, 2016
Hey everyone.

So this issue started about 3 days ago and has never ever been an issue since I built this PC about a year or so ago. The humming randomly onsets, I have no earthly idea what triggers it. Nothing I do stops it, not even restarting. The only thing that stops the noise is fully shutting down my PC and waiting about 2 minutes, then booting back up. But again, the noise will just randomly start. I was just sitting on my couch watching a show and it started. Nothing was running on my PC, it was just sitting there idle. It sounds like it may be coming from my rear exhaust fan, but I can't be too certain.

I thought it might've been my power supply, but the noise sounds more like it's coming from the rear exhaust fan than anything else. I have Lian Li UNI fans that are all daisy chained. I have 9 total, 2 on my AIO radiator, 3 on the bottom, 3 on the top and 1 in the back. As I sit here and type this, the noise doesn't exist since I shut down and booted up again. I'm wondering also if it may be my AIO cooler? I have the Lian Li Galahad. I looked it up for similar issues and can't find too much, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Anyone have any clue what's going on and why?

Here's a link to the video showing what I'm describing: https://streamable.com/eo3qs3

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Update your post to include full system specs and OS information.

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the inside of the case to find where the sound is coming from.

You can also temporarily take each fan out of service one by one. If the sound stops with one particular fan then that fan is the likely culprit.

Key is to locate the source of the sound.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system specs and OS information.

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the inside of the case to find where the sound is coming from.

You can also temporarily take each fan out of service one by one. If the sound stops with one particular fan then that fan is the likely culprit.

Key is to locate the source of the sound.

Solution