Question Haven't built a PC in >12 yrs, feedback please?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 19, 2023
You all have been so helpful -- thank you for the guidance!! I'm pretty close now with the final config and almost ready to order, but one last piece I need advice on. How can I know that the cooler I've selected (Noctua NH-D15) will fit properly in the case (Fractal Design North)? I've emailed Fractal Design but not sure if they'll be helpful and it's already been two days.

Any thoughts on how to know in advance or ordering?

Here's the current config:
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory
  • Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB Video Card
  • Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit
  • Case Rear Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan
  • UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD3 UPS
Thank you!

• CPU cooler max height
    145 mm with Fan Bracket (Mesh version only)/ 170 mm w.o

Above is max cooler height per Fractal Design spec sheet. 145 mm with fan bracket on Mesh version; 170 without.

The Noctua DH 15 is 160 mm tall.

Not sure about that "fan bracket" reference, but I'd guess you are OK. Let someone else confirm. Apparently there is a Mesh version of the case, which you are NOT buying?

Reactions: lonb
Apr 19, 2023
  • CPU cooler max height
    145 mm with Fan Bracket (Mesh version only)/ 170 mm w.o

Above is max cooler height per Fractal Design spec sheet. 145 mm with fan bracket on Mesh version; 170 without.

The Noctua DH 15 is 160 mm tall.

Not sure about that "fan bracket" reference, but I'd guess you are OK. Let someone else confirm. Apparently there is a Mesh version of the case, which you are NOT buying?
Thank you @Lafong ! Didn't realize I could get so much info from that spec sheet. I grabbed the PDF version and it clarified the "mesh version only" and "with fan bracket" topics. Since I wanted the tempered glass version, I should be ok.

To your question, in the various reviews I read that people (pro reviews and user reviews) prefer the tempered glass version, mainly because it's quieter. The front, back, and top of the case are all mesh regardless of which version. Here's an exploded version of the case to see construction.

Apr 19, 2023
Ok all.. time for an update. To some extent, I am just journaling and hope that this may help some future builder avoid suffering like I have. ;) My learning so far:

1. INSTALL M.2 SSD EARLY! Even though this was not the guidance on any of the various documentation I read, once you've installed the video card, it's near impossible to install the M.2 SSD. That's because it's buried under a heat shield, which is under the video card PCI-E slot. That was a horrible learning.

2. INSTALL THE VIDEO CARD BEFORE CPU COOLER. Again, even though all the documentation says otherwise. This case does not leave enough space to maneuver this very large video card into the case and into position after the CPU cooler is installed. That stinks. Also, don't plug in the case front panel cables (USB, etc.) until after everything else installed, they get in the way.

3. INSTALL PSU LAST! Again all the docs told me to install the PSU first, but it's super hard to access the back of it and read the labels on the ports. It was way easier to leave it until the end and then slide it in. Also, I got a warning about how the 1000w Corsair (RM1000x 2021) is smaller than the recommended length for this case. Indeed, I had to remove the closer hard drive slide for it to fit properly.

4. VIDEO CARD SUPPORT DOESN'T FIT. This case does not allow the use of the Gigabyte GeForce 4080 support bracket. This was a nightmare, because one of the motherboard mounting screws stripped and I spent 30 min working on it only to learn that the bracket doesn't fit anyway.

5. NO ROOM FOR 80MM REAR FAN. The video card takes up way too much space and as a result the 80mm rear fan cannot be used. This is pretty annoying, but no problem, I can return it (I didn't open it -- so minor win there!!)

My recommendation for the overall order in which you install components is:
a. Install CPU into motherboard
b. Install M.2 SSD into motherboard
c. Install motherboard into case
d. Install RAM
e. Install CPU cooler
f. Install case fans
g. Connect & route the wires

Even after all of that... my shiny new machine... won't post/boot. I have a support ticket open with Gigabyte as I'm getting a yellow CPU status led on the motherboard. I suspect it's because this G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 memory is not actually compatible with this motherboard. On the various third party checkers I used it didn't show as an issue, but I wasn't experienced to think to check the specific compatibility page, which doesn't have this memory listed. (Quick edit: I also realized the SSD is not directly listed as compatible. They have the WDS100T1X0E but not the WDS100T2X0E listed. I doubt this is the problem, but I asked about it as well) I have a support ticket open to confirm that is the issue. I'm frustrated.

I promise to come back when I figure this out.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS