[SOLVED] Having 2 monitors with diferent refresh rates at the same time

Sep 23, 2019
So I am thinking of buying an ASUS VG248QE 144 Hz monitor to use primarily for gaming (CS:GO) and I am wondering if my graphics card (GTX 950) would support also keeping my older 60 Hz DELL SE2416H? Also was planning to hook up the 144 Hz monitor via a DisplayPort and the 60 Hz one via DVI to HDMI cable (current setup). Would that work!?

Solution
at 60 Hz, your display updates every 16.67 ms
at 144Hz, your display updates every 6.94ms

This gives you a 5/12 ratio.

At 60 fps, your 60Hz monitor will display natively at a 1/1 ratio
At 144Hz, you have to hold each frame for 2 or 3 frames, depending on timing. SOME people notice this as microstutter.

The opposite is true as well, and some people state they have stutter on their 60Hz monitor when the focus is on their 144H monitor.

While there are various ways to minimize this depending on your OS and what your programs are doing and what mode they are using (windowed vs exclusive) and hardware acceleration or not in your browsers, it is a use by use / case by case scenario it seems.

Googling dual monitor stutter would probably...
Windows 10?
Be prepared for stuttering with the asynchronous clocks
SOME people report success with running the monitors at multiples of each other ( 120Hz/60Hz) if the monitor circuitry supports 120Hz on the monitor. Others have reported this made no difference for them.
YMMV

Sep 23, 2019
Sorry for me being such a noob, but what exactly do you mean by stuttering you mentioned? Do you mean that if I had watched the same video on both monitors at once that the videos would not be in sync? And yes I am using Win10.

at 60 Hz, your display updates every 16.67 ms
at 144Hz, your display updates every 6.94ms

This gives you a 5/12 ratio.

At 60 fps, your 60Hz monitor will display natively at a 1/1 ratio
At 144Hz, you have to hold each frame for 2 or 3 frames, depending on timing. SOME people notice this as microstutter.

The opposite is true as well, and some people state they have stutter on their 60Hz monitor when the focus is on their 144H monitor.

While there are various ways to minimize this depending on your OS and what your programs are doing and what mode they are using (windowed vs exclusive) and hardware acceleration or not in your browsers, it is a use by use / case by case scenario it seems.

Googling dual monitor stutter would probably get you the answers you seek on how to fix /minimize the effect in YOUR particular usage scenarios.

Reactions: sagegami
Solution