Question Having a bad PC lag that I can not figure out.

nworphan

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
I built my pc 6yrs ago and have never had a problem like this. I started up my game and once it loads, I can run around and do limited things without issue but as soon as I open up an inventory or do anything that would cause a little load spike, the program will go into a little lag moment; sometimes 2 secs and sometimes 20-30secs. So I quit the game and did my normal clean pc, update drivers, defrag, etc restart and everything seems fine, I load up game and still no change, still doing the lag, so I deal with it for a sec and do something important in the game real quick, noting the lagging was getting worse, but when I was done I just stood there and waited for the game to save, and when I came back to quit game it was frozen. I could still pull up my windows hotbar so I right-clicked on app and clicked closed, at this point my whole pc froze and after 30 secs to a minute shutdown and a message displayed something about an over or under current and is shutting down to protect PC.

So at this point I'm freaking out. The pc restarted and everything seems fine but it still has that little lag. I have been trying to organize my music, when I click on a folder to open it 70% of the time it 2-10secs lags, but I can scroll around inside the file and right-click files to look at info only getting a 1-2 secs lag 10% of the time.

You know, as I am writing this I am piecing together that this might have something to do with my phone chargers going bad all the sudden. I have 2 plug ins I use everyday to charge my phones and neither will work right, they are acting weird, but the extension cord from the bathroom works great. Maybe there was a power surge that did something, there is construction outside my back door.

I'm going to post this incase anyone has ideas but I think I just realized that I may be pulling too much from 1 circuit and my pc and phones do not have enough power. Been running this setup for 4 months, wonder why now.

nworphan

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

Windows 10
GSKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB)
MSI H170 Gaming M3 LGA 1151 Intel Motherboard
I5-6600k 6M skylake Quad-Core 2.5 GHz
WD Black 1TB HDD
Corsair CX500 80 Plus Bronze
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
MSI Gaming GeForce GTX 1050Ti 4GB

So normally I am the kind of person that will just reinstall windows and hope for it to fix the problem, but I have this game I have been playing for a year, pretty hard and and have a lot of save files. I don't know enough to know if I can back up the game or if I trust myself to do it, so I'm trying to see if I can fix this without a system reset, but will if I have to.

90% of the time that I have owned this computer I have used IObit's "Advanced System Care" "Driver Booster" "Smart Defrag" run system care and driver booster once every 1-2 weeks and defrag every 2-4 weeks. Antivirus is Avast and every product I just mentioned are the free versions.

My bad for taking so long to reply, I haven't used this website in a few years and when I logged in the next day I couldn't find this and thought I just messed up and never posted it; I was about to try to post it again and then happen to find it.

TRENDING THREADS