[SOLVED] Having a computer built for you

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2019
Where can I go to have a computer assembled once I have purchased all the main components? I know it’s supposed to be easy to build your own computer but I’m just not mechanically inclined and therefore it’s simply beyond by capability – even simple things like connecting and attaching are a struggle to me – Since I know exactly what components I want (I do extensive research to help me decide) - I would like to purchase all the main parts and then pay someone to assemble the computer and provide the necessary assembly parts.

Solution
When I did more side work I had a special rate for people who were a pain in the rear. I had one client who had me look at his system some outlook issue. I told him straight up it would be like 3 days before I could even touch it. No problem he needed it fixed.

I get to it the day I said I would, spent about 30 minutes with it (had it at my home at the time in my work area in the basement). I used to keep an area where I could have stuff just sitting chewing away so I could work on multiple things if I needed to.

I get a call from my wife, the guy called her and started yelling at her how he needed his computer and ran 3 businesses from it. Belligerent enough that my wife was almost shaking and hung up on him. I tried to call...
Nov 26, 2018

I wish it was only a half hour sometimes. I had one "repair" where I spent 3 hours trying to restore the OS on an older win xp system where a person who tried to remove viruses ended up trashing the OS. Most of the time was waiting for the system to respond as it was a low budget 2004 system. So ended up copying the hard drive, starting a fresh install, then recovering personal documents, files, the settings that remained from the copy as well as building a program and license list to transfer to the fresh install. I extremely hate those type of people... It would of taken me about an hour removing the virus issues but extended into an almost 5 hour project to fix it. And I made sure the guy sat there with me for the entire project and I muttered complaints about the competency of the individual the entire time. Think he may of learned his lesson. Almost persuaded the owner to switch to a newer system and more modern OS as well, but the programs they were using were custom built for Win XP and they weren't willing to buy the newer versions of the programs.

When I did more side work I had a special rate for people who were a pain in the rear. I had one client who had me look at his system some outlook issue. I told him straight up it would be like 3 days before I could even touch it. No problem he needed it fixed.

I get to it the day I said I would, spent about 30 minutes with it (had it at my home at the time in my work area in the basement). I used to keep an area where I could have stuff just sitting chewing away so I could work on multiple things if I needed to.

I get a call from my wife, the guy called her and started yelling at her how he needed his computer and ran 3 businesses from it. Belligerent enough that my wife was almost shaking and hung up on him. I tried to call him. He's very fortunate I got voicemail. I'm a Christian and not someone to swear, that gentleman (using the term loosely imo), nearly saw a side of me that felt like punching his lights out. I was originally going to charge him something like 135, my rate was 40 dollars to diagnose and about 75 per hour. So to fix outlook and give the computer a virus checkup, that is fair I think. Stopped working on it right there, returned his machine at my pain in the rear rate of about 250 bucks. Which I'd given him a price range at the beginning, that was the very top of it. I don't do as much side work now, not as much time as I drive an hour one way to my normal job (IT helpdesk, network guy etc). But i got to where if I got a vibe that someone would be a pain to help, I just priced them out of the ballpark to where they never called me again, or just didn't answer the phone.

I had one client I helped out where they'd built a gaming system and somehow the cpu burnt. You probably remember the FX 6300 CPUs and the 6100s how bad some of the stock cpu coolers were. I had time into diagnostics etc, and quoted them a little higher than market price because I have microcenter about 45 minutes away, and was going to get them there CPU from there, plus get their replacement plan in case of issues. I get a call from them about why was it a higher price than Newegg or something. Kind of thinking, hello, you are getting it locally, don't have to wait for shipping and get a 2 year replacement in case of problems (with microcenter you can take it directly to them and not even deal with the manufacturer if you have that plan). Then once a client called me on Christmas morning to ask about crossfire. Kind of like, hello, it's Christmas morning with my family and you are calling me just for advice?? I Don't mind helping people, but be somewhat respectful in return.

Solution
Nov 26, 2018

I remember hearing about issues with the chips but never ran into them myself. But I can sympathize about problem clients. Due to health issues, don't work and am on pension due to the VA and SSDI trying to figure out what to do with me. So not able to go back to my nomal 9-5 type work. I have a set of 20 people and 2 small businesses I'll do work for and I don't advertise for other clients. Don't want to deal with them as I'm not always available to work. But those 20 people know me, and I'm one of the first people they'll call if they run into an issue (not all the time, t/g....) I'd have to say that 4 of them are what would be considered problem clients who are not happy with anything. I still do their work, and don't charge them extra because I need something to do and keep me occupied when I'm up and around. And they're not even close to being as bad as some of the people I deal with on my old 9-5. And my rates are usually around $40 an hour. Extremely cheap by many standards but enough that the customers aren't thinking that I'll work for them for free. One of the businesses I do work for 9 computer network plus peripherals, I'll fix their stuff and collect my check and they'll hand me a bonus check for coming to them (not my usual procedure) and getting the job done quickly and easily. Both the good and bad clients know that I'm not always physically able to work and don't press the issue when I tell them I'm not available. But they'll keep checking until I am....

So I can understand charging a high rate for problem customers. I may not do so, but I've known the guy for awhile and he's knows if he gets sassy that I have no problem getting sassy back (being polite here....) I think he enjoys that there is someone that will work for him that will call him out and doesn't care about the money. But that one customer you described, he wouldn't of liked my response as he may of contracted you to do the work it doesn't mean he owns you and can dictate your time. Due to my low client base, I have limited dealings with bad clients (as 3 of my 4 are pretty benign and just pushy on the time frames) but your client wouldn't of liked my response especially if his attitude involved my better half getting upset. I'm not going to put my so-so health at risk for the individual but he would of had a chewing out he'd remember for the rest of his life.

Jan 25, 2019

Jan 25, 2019
Thank You – I did make a decision – For the past several builds I’ve used AVAdirect an online custom builder but this time I decided to go with a local company (Computer Frog) – The price was fair compared with online companies and the build is in progress – The advantage I hope to achieve is the ability to have repairs and upgrades without the need to pack up the computer and send it in – Also I will be able to salvage a few components from my existing system even if there is an extra charge -Thank You to everyone for all your valuable input.

Jan 25, 2019
I was asked to give details about my build so her it is – I’m going with a Phanteks Enthoo Pro Temp’d Glass for my case – EVGA Super Nova 1000w Platimun for power supply – Gigabyte Designare EX Motherboard – Treadripp 1950X CPU with EVGA CLC 280mm cooler – Crorsair Vengeance 4X8 ram -XFX Radeion RX580 GTS 8GB GPU – Not sure on the SSD but it will be a 1TR NVMe PCIe using TLC and Seagate BarraCuda SATA 8 TR – A couple optical drives, card reader some case fans (want to stick with Air cooling) and Windows 10 OS – I also want to transfer my current Capture Card and maybe my 4TR drive