[SOLVED] Having a computer built for you

Jan 25, 2019
Where can I go to have a computer assembled once I have purchased all the main components? I know it’s supposed to be easy to build your own computer but I’m just not mechanically inclined and therefore it’s simply beyond by capability – even simple things like connecting and attaching are a struggle to me – Since I know exactly what components I want (I do extensive research to help me decide) - I would like to purchase all the main parts and then pay someone to assemble the computer and provide the necessary assembly parts.

Solution
When I did more side work I had a special rate for people who were a pain in the rear. I had one client who had me look at his system some outlook issue. I told him straight up it would be like 3 days before I could even touch it. No problem he needed it fixed.

I get to it the day I said I would, spent about 30 minutes with it (had it at my home at the time in my work area in the basement). I used to keep an area where I could have stuff just sitting chewing away so I could work on multiple things if I needed to.

I get a call from my wife, the guy called her and started yelling at her how he needed his computer and ran 3 businesses from it. Belligerent enough that my wife was almost shaking and hung up on him. I tried to call...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You can spec out a PC with a company like origin PC or CyberPower, then will then build it to your spec and ship it to you for a price of course. OriginPC is likely the pre built company I would trust the most however they are generally one of the more expensive.

You do not have to be mechanically inclined to build a pc lol, you're not rebuilding an engine it's quite easy for the most part. If you extensively research how to build it as much as you did what parts to put in it im sure you will be fine. We all had to start somewhere. However if you are not comfortable with it companies like originpc exist.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In the US places like Fry's and Microcenter have assembly services. I don't recall if Best Buy still offers that service, but you might convince them to if they no longer do. Various local computer repair centers will probably do it as well. Harder to find these days, but most moderate sized cities have them, and chances go up in rural areas for more regional computer services.

Not to say any of these places are truly amazing, really depends on how much the person doing it knows/cares.

With general location provided you might track down someone here who would be willing.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would check around for a mom and pop type store first, to see both what their rates are as well as seeing if they will even allow you to bring in your own parts for such a project. I would expect that even if they did allow you to bring in equipment that they likely would not warranty the build or troubleshoot issues for you with parts selection, etc. I would clarify all that before even starting. Expect if they get the parts for you they may also mark them up for their trouble.

Where I haven't dealt with Fry's specifically, I can say I have had good experiences with, and seen good prices at Microcenter. I would imagine their assembly service isn't cheap but also figure they would be the one stop shop for selecting all your gear directly from them.

Insomuch as parts selection there are a lot of people here that will be happy to assist selecting compatible parts that fit your needs. There are also other sites with part compat. built in to the list 'maker' (as it were), like PC Parts Picker.

I really second Eximo's suggestion above, that IF you are looking to buy your parts finding a person with some experience to help, local, would be the least expensive route. As always when building your own troubleshooting and warranty issues can crop up.
For sheer ease, if you aren't looking to be involved in a build, I would suggest selecting a pre-built that fits your needs.

g-unit1111

Titan

I could literally make about a hundred posts as to why you shouldn't buy Cyberpower but that's pretty well documented with a few Google or site searches.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Im sure you can find horror stories based around any of these pre built companies. Build quality depends on the person building it, you might get a hack or someone good at their job. They let you spec your own PC so parts quality shouldn't be an issue unless you choose poor parts, they even let you pick your own power supply nowadays.

g-unit1111

Titan

I work right next to a company that's affiliated with Cyberpower. They do not treat these PCs very well. I've seen tempered glass cases stacked on top of each other (out of the box), broken glass everywhere, and piles of junk in the dumpsters. And they're not built in exactly what one would call a clean environment.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I've purchased from Cyberpower before. Was actually very well built and never had a problem with it. Customer service was fantastic the one time I had to call. Was a few years ago, but I'd use them again. Probably the least expensive.

I did come across a build service from NZXT recently. www.letsbld.com Don't know anything about them. Could use better selection, but the pricing isn't terrible.

Jan 25, 2019

Jan 25, 2019

Jan 25, 2019
I’ve had my last several computers built by AVAdirect (I’ve also reviewed and priced systems by other custom builders like Cyber Power) – But these are custom computer builders where you are purchasing both the parts and assembly – I looking for someone to assemble/build the computer with parts that I have purchased – I would be paying them to do the build and for the cost they charged for all the additional assembly parts such as wires, screws any extra hardware or whatever else is needed – As for my ability to build my own computer – I have trouble even replacing an internal drive or reattaching a fan – pathetic I know.

Jan 25, 2019

Jan 25, 2019

Jan 25, 2019
Thank you for the advice as to CyberPower – I had been considering them but will definitely rule them out now – I’ve had 3 Custom Builds done by AVA and have very few complaints – They will repair of replace but the cost of shipping your computer back (Full Tower with a lot in it) is usually more than it’s worth.

Jan 25, 2019

Nov 26, 2018

It depends on how you want to do it. There are quite a few computer companies that will do total builds as well as big name companies that give you limited customizations.

If you want to purchase the parts over time or from different stores and have someone build it for you, many local computer shops will do so. When I made a mistake that put my hand in a cast on my last build, a local company finished putting it together for me for $80 and also honored the warranties for the computer parts I had purchased in sealed boxes But that varies on where you live. The ones that finished my system ran into an issue with the motherboard (ram slot wouldn't work) so they switched it out with one they had in stock and turned the old one in.

Third option is check with your local community college as some advanced classes just like projects like that to give some experience to students. But they don't warranty their work or if they make a mistake.

Last option is the least desirable one and look for people online in your area that do minor computer repair work and builds. I have plenty of those in the area with the usual problem of some being real good at it and some being real bad and it's hard to sort them out unless you worked with them before.

Gotta watch the guys on craigslist. I work in IT, and sometimes people joke about some of those guys being what we call "pizza techs". In other words maybe someone who has a non IT related job and moonlights doing computer work and maybe don't know what they are doing, or cuts every corner possible.

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh no question Craigslist is rife for scamming opportunities. Yes, be careful!

Nov 26, 2018

Never said craigslist. Local sites in my area have a rated "professional" job site for local businesses and individuals. People hire them and rate them like an Angie's list type of website where you can hire people to work a single task or short term contract. But, even with the rating system, you never know how true the ratings are and how reliable the individual is. I wouldn't trust anything on craiglist. I also heard that facebook also opened or was testing the same kind of program as well, but not on facebook so don't know.

Nov 26, 2018

Lol, guess I meet the standard. 25+ years working on other people's computers and networking part time and on my own without certifications and another 10+ building and maintaining my own before that (if you can count working on an (Apple IIe and Tandy's as stripping down with how few user fixable parts they had.) Just enjoyed my job too much to go to school to meet requirements for some of the certifications. Not all moonlighters are bad, and not all moonlighters are good.

Oh no I agree with you. I have a degree, but no certs. To be honest, most things I know aren't from school, but from tinkering, working on the side, or on the job training.

The guys I'm talking about are the ones who take work, charge a low rate and de value the market imo, who cut corners (example the guys installing pirate Windows on systems, or selling bootleg software). Or the folks who really in general don't have enough knowledge to work on systems and should not be allowed to own a computer much less charge to work on them.

There are sometimes I have worked on systems people like that have worked with before, or where the user attempted to fix their own issue, and you have to spend half an hour or more trying to undo what they did. Whereas had they called me first for example, might have been a simple solution.