Question Having a hard time finding the right cooling system...

Jan 12, 2023
Here are the parts I bought for my PC: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3rjfZw
The problem is that the Noctua NH-D15 doesn't really fit with everything, and I don't know what to do. I've been looking for another cooling system like the Arctic Liquid Freezer II, but I read it wouldn't fit either with some of my parts. I find it very hard to find a good cooling system that match my parts, or perhaps I should change my RAM as well as my cooling system? What do you guys think? I am new to PC building so this is getting overhelming.

Jan 12, 2023
Doesn't fit....meaning what?

It won't fit in the case?

Have you specifically rejected the 13700K or 13600K as a replacement for a 12900K? If yes, what was your thought process?
That is what I am trying to figure out, I find different information everywhere.
- Mechanically incompatible in standard orientation (blowing towards the I/O panel) due to height of the plastic cover over the VRM heatsink. Installation turned by 90° (blowing towards the top of the case) is possible.
- Front fan overhangs RAM slots. If there is sufficient space inside the case, the front fan can be installed in a higher position to clear the RAM modules (see linked FAQ).

I bought my 12900K on sale, the 13th generation wasn't out yet.

The link for your case states maximum CPU cooler height of 165mm.

The D15 is 165mm in height, meaning right next to the side of the window, it may touch.

I linked a cpu cooler that is 155mm tall. Tom's Hardware reviewer stated;

"I was truly amazed by the performance of Thermalright’s Peerless Assassin 120 SE, especially when you consider its low $36 price. I had to retest this cooler multiple times before I would believe my own testing results! It is by far the best-performing airr I’ve tested, capable of handling 200W+ with Intel’s Core i9-12900K, while running whisper silent, and it absolutely murders its competition in lower TDP workloads. Whether you care about value or not, you should consider this cooler for your next system build."

Reactions: Icarusael
Jan 12, 2023
The link for your case states maximum CPU cooler height of 165mm.

The D15 is 165mm in height, meaning right next to the side of the window, it may touch.

I linked a cpu cooler that is 155mm tall. Tom's Hardware reviewer stated;

"I was truly amazed by the performance of Thermalright’s Peerless Assassin 120 SE, especially when you consider its low $36 price. I had to retest this cooler multiple times before I would believe my own testing results! It is by far the best-performing airr I’ve tested, capable of handling 200W+ with Intel’s Core i9-12900K, while running whisper silent, and it absolutely murders its competition in lower TDP workloads. Whether you care about value or not, you should consider this cooler for your next system build."
I am trying to understand those clearance sizing, having a hard time to visualize it. 165 mm for the case and 165 mm for the NH-D15, it means that once the motherboard + the cooler is installed inside the case, from the back panel to the glass panel it will fit like perfectly tight in it? But then when I install the fan on the right side, it will hit the RAM stick, so I'd have to raise the fan which would then be higher then 165 mm? My RAM stick are 44 mm...

I am trying to understand those clearance sizing, having a hard time to visualize it. 165 mm for the case and 165 mm for the NH-D15, it means that once the motherboard + the cooler is installed inside the case, from the back panel to the glass panel it will fit like perfectly tight in it? But then when I install the fan on the right side, it will hit the RAM stick, so I'd have to raise the fan which would then be higher then 165 mm? My RAM stick are 44 mm...

I wouldn't try to stick a 165mm tall cpu cooler in a case stating a 165mm max cooler clearance. You have tall ram and may have to raise the front fan. But if you have no room to move the fan up due to the 165mm clearance, you either remove the fan ( bad idea) or find a shorter cooler (good idea).

Yes the D15 is a great cooler. If you want to use it then find a wider case or low profile RAM without the RBG.

Reactions: Icarusael
Jan 12, 2023
I wouldn't try to stick a 165mm tall cpu cooler in a case stating a 165mm max cooler clearance. You have tall ram and may have to raise the front fan. But if you have no room to move the fan up due to the 165mm clearance, you either remove the fan ( bad idea) or find a shorter cooler (good idea).

Yes the D15 is a great cooler. If you want to use it then find a wider case or low profile RAM without the RBG.
I'm all up to try the one you mentionned, Thermalright’s Peerless Assassin 120 SE, but without having it on hand, I don't know if it will fit RAM wise.

Thank you guys by the way, I am learning through this conversation while watching youtube videos on my PC parts and trying to place my stuff in my case looking at how everything goes.

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 won't fit?
I don't know, will it? :LOL: That is what I am trying to figure out; I don't want to buy it and realize it doesn't fit with my RAM/Case like what happened with my Noctua NH-D15...

Jan 12, 2023
Ram isn't an issue with AIO, no heatsink on the CPU, just the chill plate and pump (if applicable, some have the pump in the radiator).

Your chassis supports two 360mm radiators, so either up top or in the front would work.
If what you say is right, then I don't understand this thread: Top mounting a 360mm AIO in the Cooler Master TD500 Mesh? : buildapc (reddit.com)

They are talking about not having space for 44 mm RAM...

If you wish to use that D15 you can change the fan on the memory side to a 120mm same mounting.

I just saw a video about it, but there is also another problem here, on my motherboard (Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4), on the back side, there is a plastic cover over the VRM heatsink which doesn't allow me to put the fan either...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If what you say is right, then I don't understand this thread: Top mounting a 360mm AIO in the Cooler Master TD500 Mesh? : buildapc (reddit.com)

They are talking about not having space for 44 mm RAM...

I just saw a video about it, but there is also another problem here, on my motherboard (Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4), on the back side, there is a plastic cover over the VRM heatsink which doesn't allow me to put the fan either...
Fits fine on this build with that board.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/fcCzK8

I'm all up to try the one you mentionned, Thermalright’s Peerless Assassin 120 SE, but without having it on hand, I don't know if it will fit RAM wise.

Thank you guys by the way, I am learning through this conversation while watching youtube videos on my PC parts and trying to place my stuff in my case looking at how everything goes.

I don't know, will it? :LOL: That is what I am trying to figure out; I don't want to buy it and realize it doesn't fit with my RAM/Case like what happened with my Noctua NH-D15...
Unless the radiator is too thick, it should fit in the front of the case.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
But his build don't have my RAM nor my case. I'd rather change only one part instead of two, which is why I am looking for help.
Using your case the D15 fits fine just change the ram side fan to a 120mm all problems solved.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/pvdrxr#h=261910

It's starting to sound as if your disappointed because you can't see the memory RGB. In that case next time post first then build! you could of bought a 13700K processor for less money that gives a bit better all around performance than the 12900K

Jan 12, 2023
Using your case the D15 fits fine just change the ram side fan to a 120mm all problems solved.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/pvdrxr#h=261910

It's starting to sound as if your disappointed because you can't see the memory RGB. In that case next time post first then build! you could of bought a 13700K processor for less money that gives a bit better all around performance than the 12900K
No I don't care about the RGB, or else I wouldn't have picked up the Noctua NH-D15, I am even open to change my memory stick if I can avoid changing anything else, as long as they are good one as well (been a while I chose those stick, so been a while I haven't looked up for different ones). So a 120 mm would go over those RAM stick and will do the job? I don't need a 3rd fan on the back side at all?

I am curious to buy a liquid cooler as well just to see how it fits.

I just checked the height of the motherboard + the NH-D15 tower and was able to put my glass panel back on and there's almost 1 cm of space between the glass and the NH-D15 so I am confident about that 120 mm fan now, I just hope it does a good cooling job.