Having a horrible time reinstalling ram...

Bangu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
So, I had a computer that I thought was dead. I was bored today so I decided to play around with it. I messed with some things and ended up being able to boot up after I took all the ram out and put just one stick back in. My mobo has four ram slots and I have four sticks of ram (3 sticks of 1gb and one stick of 2gb) all pc2 and 6400u. Now I cannot get the computer to boot with all four sticks in the computer... I have tried every combo every slot. I am fairly certain that all of my slots and ram is in working condition. I currently have the 2gig in slot 4 and a 1gig in slot 3, and it works. If I add any more it wont boot up. It also seems to be pretty random when it will boot. What can I do!?

Find the band name of your motherboard, and the model number of the board.
And do a search for it via google.

See what the maximum amount of memory you can have in the system when all four of your memory slots on the board are filled.

It probably has a limit of 4gb of toatal memory the memory controller of the motherboard can access and utilize. cann only read upto 4Gb of system memory if an old system.
And why 2 1GB stick will work with the 2Gb stick also but not when trying to use or run 5Gb total.

Bangu

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009

I have an Asus M2N68-LA Socket AM2 Desktop Board Motherboard with a phenom x4 processor. All ram was previously installed and came WITH the computer (HP desktop) so I know its all compatible.