[SOLVED] having a Negative airflow in a water cooled pc bad??

Sep 7, 2020
Hello Guys,
I'm planning to custom water cooling my build (My case is Lian Li o11 Dynamic XL) , and here is the problem :
1) I'm thinking of installing two Radiators..... One at the Top and another at the bottom, and for intake It's gonna be 3 Fans placed at the Side of Lian Li case.
so having a lot of fans for Exhaust and less intake is gonna create a Negative Airflow, which I don't Want cause of the dust accumulation...
so any ideas on how to create a positive airflow in this scenario??
and also do I need 2 Radiators????
the CPU which I'm gonna buy is 5950x, and the GPU is Tuf 3090, so should I need to get 2 Radiators for cooling or I'm Good to go with one radiator? (I'm water cooling my gpu and cpu only)
I'm going for EKWB water blocks so there is an option for XE Radiator which has lots of Fins and is big..so placing a XE Radiator at the top and having intake fans at the side and the bottom be a good CASE scenario??
thanks a lot for your time

Solution
The EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-d-rgb-500-2200-rpm-white

those are the fans which I'm thinking of filing my case with....they are High static pressure fans...is it a good idea to keep them at the side as intake and one at the rear as exhaust??

Your proposed radiators look good to me, fans?? Yeah the EK's can be used everywhere if that what you want to do, have the budget and have everything matching.

Little too much rgb for me personally but then it's not my build 😉

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, it's not bad at all.
Dust is inevitable - just don't be lazy and go a year or more without cleaning out the PC.

Wait, this is for custom liquid...
If it were air or hybrid cooling, the bottom is the worst place in that chassis to put fans & radiators; it's the most restrictive of the 3 areas in that chassis.
Custom liquid doesn't follow the same rules though.
But I'm not that well versed with custom liquid, so I can't go any further. Hopefully one of the custom liquid experts floating around can assist you.

For a 3090 and a 5950x you are absolutely going to want 2 radiators.

I think your plan is honestly absolutely fine, ignore positive/negative airflow worries.

You should be running 3 side fans as intakes, top cpu radiator as exhaust and bottom gpu radiator as intake.

The bottom is designed to be an intake anyway., that's why it has a removable/washable filter fitted.

That instantly means you have more intake airflow than exhaust, making it technically a positive pressure setup.

Sep 7, 2020
No, it's not bad at all.
Dust is inevitable - just don't be lazy and go a year or more without cleaning out the PC.

Wait, this is for custom liquid...
If it were air or hybrid cooling, the bottom is the worst place in that chassis to put fans & radiators; it's the most restrictive of the 3 areas in that chassis.
Custom liquid doesn't follow the same rules though.
But I'm not that well versed with custom liquid, so I can't go any further. Hopefully one of the custom liquid experts floating around can assist you.
thanks Phaaze88, for your help

Sep 7, 2020

I think your plan is honestly absolutely fine, ignore positive/negative airflow worries.

You should be running 3 side fans as intakes, top cpu radiator as exhaust and bottom gpu radiator as intake.

The bottom is designed to be an intake anyway., that's why it has a removable/washable filter fitted.

That instantly means you have more intake airflow than exhaust, making it technically a positive pressure setup.
thanks for confirming that i'll be needing two radiators

Sep 7, 2020

I'm going with EKWB, and the radiators come in 3 Sizes....SE 360, PE 360, And XE 360...
I'm thinking of going for one PE rad at the bottom for intake and one XE rad at the top for exhaust and as usual 3 fans as intake at the side and one exhaust fan at the rear....what do you think of this config?

The EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-evo-120er-d-rgb-500-2200-rpm-white

those are the fans which I'm thinking of filing my case with....they are High static pressure fans...is it a good idea to keep them at the side as intake and one at the rear as exhaust??

Your proposed radiators look good to me, fans?? Yeah the EK's can be used everywhere if that what you want to do, have the budget and have everything matching.

Little too much rgb for me personally but then it's not my build 😉

Solution
On another note, those EK's are going to work best on that bottom rad in a push configuration sandwiched between the case and the rad.

In that respect your not really making use of the rgb on them, you may be overpaying then when straight non rgb fans would do.

Its not really a negative issue on anything but the monetary amount they're costing.