Question Having an issue that just started randomly

Jan 14, 2020
Lately my computer has been acting weird. Every time it goes idle or I leave and come back it shows my wall paper display but all of my icons are gone and I cannot do anything. I can't go to my task bar, I cannot open a web browser, I can't even Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open the task manager. Even worse is sometimes when I reboot it now I have to press F11 upon start up and boot windows through the command page. I have never downloaded anything that wasn't trust, I have ran some window defender scans and nothing shows up, and I never click any random links or go to suspicious websites.

My specs are as follows:
Ryzen 2700x
x470 Taichi motherboard
16 gb of Corsair LPX vengeance 3200 mhz
Rx 590
and the h100i cooler
1.5 TB samsung 860 evo ssd (Which is what my operating system is installed on)

I have tried to do a system restore to see if that solved the problem but it did nothing. I am not sure what else to do where to go for advice at this point. This is a new issue that has never happened to me before it recently started almost a week ago. All I have on my pc mostly are games and nothing very important. Do you think if I reinstall the OS it could fix the issue? Or perhaps the latest windows update is causing it?

Has anyone else experienced this type of issue with their pc? Just looking for options before I completely wipe everything out and start fresh.

Jan 14, 2020
Okay, so just an update I guess. Right now I am just trying a temporary solution by going to control panel / power options and changing the 'choose when to turn off display / sleep' tabs to never. I don't know if this is going to work. I still experience a black screen upon reboot randomly though, but I found it if I try to type in my password it will take me to my desktop and I can access my toolbar, but cannot see any icons displayed and still cannot enter the task manager (it will make the screen black), if the screen goes black i can get out of it and reboot from the start button and it will work fine. Just unusual experience over all, could be the hard ware. Who knows..

Update#2
Okay, ran a malware scanner, found 1 malicious file. Quarantined and rebooted with no issues.

Update#3
Pulled the trigger and am currently reformatting my hard drive and wiping everything on it. Will check back in once OS is reinstalled.

Update#4
Okay here is what I learned. Yes, I successfully reformatted and reinstalled windows, but there were problems. I kept getting that darn black screen! So I tried the only thing left that I could think of.. unplugged the display port cable from both my monitor and GPU and swapped them around and boom, everything has been working peachy (at least for now). Finished the installation of OS with no black screens.

I would like to clarify that though in this instance my paranoia of malware etc. did get the best of me, I most certainly think that the culprit was that display port cable (and yes I did recently move my equipment within the last week so there is my reasoning for the cable thing) and now i shall go back to installing updates and drivers and all my games.. sigh. I said I didn't go to any malicious websites or D/L anything suspicious which was all true, but hey you never know right, especially if you play some game with mods!

Farewell for now.

Last edited: