Question Having an odd issue

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
I have ran multiple antivirus, anti spyware and anti malware. I did find I had a trojan prevously and norton power eraser found and removed it. For some odd issue the game folder on my game drive put my game folder into a file history folde the other day. I really do not want to do a full clean install . I have ran malware bytes, spybot s&d, norton power eraser, avast, bit defender rescue and others... Just wondering if someone may have something different to try as I really do not want to do a wipe and have to reinstall.

Ralston18

Titan
"For some odd issue the game folder on my game drive put my game folder into a file history folde the other day. I really do not want to do a full clean install . "

Folders just do not put themselves into other folders. More explanation is needed.

What game(s)? Source?

What trojan was found?

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
"For some odd issue the game folder on my game drive put my game folder into a file history folde the other day. I really do not want to do a full clean install . "

Folders just do not put themselves into other folders. More explanation is needed.

What game(s)? Source?

What trojan was found?
I could not tell you what trojan was found as I did not write it down, that was months ago. I know folders should not move themselves and my games folder is nearly 3TB as I have games from years ago. Yesterday I booted up and all the shortcuts to the games folder were all white and I found my game folder in file history for some unknown reason. I also have a 1TB m.2 that I use for steam games and it was unaffected. I do not even know where the file history folder even came from as it has never been there before.

Ralston18

Titan
How full are the drives?

Any recent game downloads prior to when the problem began? What game(s), source?

Look in Update History. Any failed or problem updates?

Look in Reliabilty History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that reference any game, application, utility, folder or file problems.

Look in Task Manager for any unknown or unexpected apps being launched at startup and left running in the background.

Check Task Scheduler for any unknown and unexpected apps being triggered to run by some other event.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism". May find and fix some file corruption causing or contributing to the problem.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
How full are the drives?

Any recent game downloads prior to when the problem began? What game(s), source?

Look in Update History. Any failed or problem updates?

Look in Reliabilty History for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that reference any game, application, utility, folder or file problems.

Look in Task Manager for any unknown or unexpected apps being launched at startup and left running in the background.

Check Task Scheduler for any unknown and unexpected apps being triggered to run by some other event.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism". May find and fix some file corruption causing or contributing to the problem.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

After doing some really deep diving research on the issue and testing, I think that drive may be closing in on the edge of failing. It is the oldest drive in my PC and it only has 440Gb available out of 2.72 Tb... Ran some S.M.A.R.T tests and it is showing 100 Reallocation Sector Count, which the threshold is 10 (multiple tests showing same). From everything I have read, that high of a number is not a good sign. IIRC I payed nearly $300 for it when it was new, so it is quite old. I have a nearly identical drive that I use as a backup in a HD dock, and I think I payed just over $90 for it.

I have a new 8Tb on order, that should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. So I am going to merge my backup and game drive onto it, and just put my frequently used games on the former back up drive and use the new one as the backup. The current backup drive has less than 700 hours on it as I only turn it on to make backups or copy files over, the drive in question has nearly 30000 and as I understand it, it far worse on a drive when it is nearly full and it has been for a while with it that full when copying to and from it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS