Question Having bad frame and audio issues after installing a new 3060ti into my PC.

Oct 15, 2022
Hey everyone, yesterday I upgraded from a 1070ti to a new 3060ti hoping to improve my gaming experience. My full spec list is as follows:

- cpu: Ryzen 5 1600x
-gpu: GeForce 3060ti
- motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk
ram: Corsair vengeance ddr4 16g 3200
psu: EVGA 750BQ 110-bq-0750-v1 Bronze 750w
storage: m.2 ssd 970evo 500g

Unfortunately, after installing the card yesterday I have run into some issues. When I went into try out some games I was having awful fps drops and the audio was going out whenever those occurred. I was running each game at 1440p. I tried out Elden Ring, Valorant, Escape from Tarkov, and Overwatch. Valorant was playable at around 144 frames but the audio kept going out frequently. On Elden Ring I couldn't move without the game being extremely choppy with the same audio issue. In Escape from tarkov the game was a lot better than Elden Ring but audio still cut out frequently at an average of 70 fps. Overwatch had no issues at all, but when looking at task manager the gpu wasn't even under stress. In fact the only game that had the gpu show up on task manager was Valorant at around 30%. The whole time during this as well the cpu temperature was averaging 49 Celsius. I am just curious if anyone here would know what might be wrong with it. Before I bought the card I looked to see if my Cpu would be ok, and a few different people said it would only affect it around 10%. Is this bottlenecking? I think the thermals are fine with everything. I have tried reinstalling the drivers on multiple occasions, even going back to the last update. I've messed around in the control panel to try and optimize the settings, but nothing has worked. If anyone could give me any sort of information that could help I would greatly appreciate it. If there is anything else that needs to be known as well to check on the problem I can provide additional info. Thanks.

TLDR; is my ryzen 1600x bottlenecking my 3060ti so that I can barely play games?

Last edited:
Hey there,

You forgot to include your mobo in the list. There could be a number of reasons why you're facing this issue.

Are all your system drivers up to date? Have you uninstalled/reinstalled the GPU driver with DDU.

Ensure you are running the latest chipset driver so that your CPU can run at it's optimum levles. Choose the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Test your memory oustide of winows using Memtest86+. Put it on a thumbdrive and boot it, and run the memory test. You should be looking for 0 (Zero) errors for at least 4 passes.

Regarding the CPU potentially bottlenecking your GPU, yes, there is some holdback there. A faster CPU for example a 5600x would give you a big boost in general performance but also and specifically gaming with that GPU.

Finally the PSU, EVGA BQ. Whilst not the worst, it has many drawbacks, some of which are a lack of even basic protections (OTP - Over temp Protection). I'd be looking at swapping it out if issues persist.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022
Hey there,

You forgot to include your mobo in the list. There could be a number of reasons why you're facing this issue.

Are all your system drivers up to date? Have you uninstalled/reinstalled the GPU driver with DDU.

Ensure you are running the latest chipset driver so that your CPU can run at it's optimum levles. Choose the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Test your memory oustide of winows using Memtest86+. Put it on a thumbdrive and boot it, and run the memory test. You should be looking for 0 (Zero) errors for at least 4 passes.

Regarding the CPU potentially bottlenecking your GPU, yes, there is some holdback there. A faster CPU for example a 5600x would give you a big boost in general performance but also and specifically gaming with that GPU.

Finally the PSU, EVGA BQ. Whilst not the worst, it has many drawbacks, some of which are a lack of even basic protections (OTP - Over temp Protection). I'd be looking at swapping it out if issues persist.

Hey thanks for responding! The motherboard is a msi b350 tomahawk. Yeah all the drivers are up to date. After I read you response I went and updated the chipset and used DDU to uninstall the driver, then I reinstalled with geforce experience. I went and tried a few games and the issue was still there. I will test the memory later. I've seen videos of people online using the same cpu gpu setup and they don't have frames nearly as bad as mine. Do you think it's the psu's issue?

Hey thanks for responding! The motherboard is a msi b350 tomahawk. Yeah all the drivers are up to date. After I read you response I went and updated the chipset and used DDU to uninstall the driver, then I reinstalled with geforce experience. I went and tried a few games and the issue was still there. I will test the memory later. I've seen videos of people online using the same cpu gpu setup and they don't have frames nearly as bad as mine. Do you think it's the psu's issue?

Ah right.

It's possible if the PSU was faulty or not providing clean enough power then maybe.

You could bring to a local repair store, get them to swap out the PSU for maybe 20£$€ or so, and diagnose that way. Then if it is a faulty PSU you can get another one. If not, then it's possibly a mobo issue.

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Before I bought the card I looked to see if my Cpu would be ok, and a few different people said it would only affect it around 10%. Is this bottlenecking?

TLDR; is my ryzen 1600x bottlenecking my 3060ti so that I can barely play games?

No, the issues you describe are not caused by bottlenecking from your CPU. Bottlenecking simply means you won't realize the full performance of the GPU; it doesn't show up as frame drops, stuttering, audio loss, or anything like that. Along with updating system drivers as Roland suggests, I'd also make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version and if not, update that as well.

Also, have you tried swapping out the 3060 TI for your old card? If not, try that and see if the issues go away or not. If it goes away I think you're looking at either the new card is faulty or the PSU is faulty. It would be great if you could swap the 3060 into a different PC (with a known good quality PSU) and see if the issue follows it or not.

Oct 15, 2022
No, the issues you describe are not caused by bottlenecking from your CPU. Bottlenecking simply means you won't realize the full performance of the GPU; it doesn't show up as frame drops, stuttering, audio loss, or anything like that. Along with updating system drivers as Roland suggests, I'd also make sure your motherboard is on the latest BIOS version and if not, update that as well.

Also, have you tried swapping out the 3060 TI for your old card? If not, try that and see if the issues go away or not. If it goes away I think you're looking at either the new card is faulty or the PSU is faulty. It would be great if you could swap the 3060 into a different PC (with a known good quality PSU) and see if the issue follows it or not.

Hey! Good idea. I went back and put my old card back in and the problems stayed the same. So I'm guessing I messed up something while switching them out. Do you think it's probably the motherboard? Thanks for the input!

jasonf2

Distinguished
More than likely a driver issue. Make sure do properly DDU the GPU drivers and reload them. This means the full uninstall and the unplug the internet routine. Also when you did the update did you jack with memory timings? Is your 16gb a single stick or dual kit?

jasonf2

Distinguished
More than likely a driver issue. Make sure do properly DDU the GPU drivers and reload them. This means the full uninstall and the unplug the internet routine. Also when you did the update did you jack with memory timings? Is your 16gb a single stick or dual kit?

Oct 15, 2022

Hey thanks for your response. I did all of that with the DDU and unplugging the internet but still had the same issues when I reinstalled. I'm unfamiliar what jack with the memory timings means so I don't think I did that, but its a dual kit. After I tried doing uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and I still had issues, I put my old card back in. But when I put it back in, the same issues I was having with the new card popped up, so I think I messed something up with the motherboard maybe.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Motherboard replacement would be my last level. I would reset bios first and then if that doesn't work I would set a temporary power supply to test. After that I would reinstall OS. If none of that worked I would go for the motherboard, but only as a last line.

Reactions: Richj444

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
If there is anything else that needs to be known as well to check on the problem I can provide additional info. Thanks.

This is a really odd issue. Let's go back to basics and make sure nothing is overlooked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand is the pc was working fine in games, then you swapped your 1070 for a 3060 and the issues started immediately. However, swapping back to the 1070 did not solve anything and the issues still persist?

So, apparently either something (non GPU related) failed when you installed the 3060 originally, or something else happened. Did you do anything else at all when you installed the 3060? Rearrange cables, install software, etc. Anything at all? Do you have another pc you could use to try the GPU's in and make sure they're working in another system?

If the answer is no, I'd do as Jason suggests and try another (known good) PSU in the system, and maybe reinstall the OS, before replacing the motherboard. You can also try to rule out other components like RAM with memtest and your SSD with Samsung's diagnostic software to make sure nothing's going on there. It doesn't sound like an issue they would cause, but you never know. And I'm about out of ideas beyond that.

Oct 15, 2022
This is a really odd issue. Let's go back to basics and make sure nothing is overlooked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand is the pc was working fine in games, then you swapped your 1070 for a 3060 and the issues started immediately. However, swapping back to the 1070 did not solve anything and the issues still persist?

So, apparently either something (non GPU related) failed when you installed the 3060 originally, or something else happened. Did you do anything else at all when you installed the 3060? Rearrange cables, install software, etc. Anything at all? Do you have another pc you could use to try the GPU's in and make sure they're working in another system?

If the answer is no, I'd do as Jason suggests and try another (known good) PSU in the system, and maybe reinstall the OS, before replacing the motherboard. You can also try to rule out other components like RAM with memtest and your SSD with Samsung's diagnostic software to make sure nothing's going on there. It doesn't sound like an issue they would cause, but you never know. And I'm about out of ideas beyond that.

Yeah thats what happened. I only switched out the gpu, didn't touch anything else. Only thing I downloaded after plugging the card in was the newest drivers on geforce experience. I have a local shop that says they will diagnose it for 35 dollars so I'm just going to take it to them and see if they can figure out what's wrong. If they figure it out i'll post an update here .

Reactions: Richj444
Oct 15, 2022
Update: Solved.

The issue ended up being a logitech camera that I had plugged into the pc. I noticed down in the bottom right when I showed hidden icons it was reconnecting and disconnecting constantly. Whenever I unplugged all of the issues went away. I guess it has faulty wiring and because it kept trying to start up it somehow messed with my audio and frames. Thanks for everyone who gave some advice here, just glad to have figured it out.

TRENDING THREADS