Having cpu problems with parking and unparking

Ionier

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
So i have been having problems were i have 2 unparked cores and 6 parked cores and i want to unpark them all but when i go into regedit and find and all that after putting the code it says done or something like that. I checked the cores in resource monitor and it says core 0 ,1 are unparked and 2 3 4 5 6 7 are parked plz help!

Solution

There are downsides to forcefully unparking your CPU and it does not improve the overall performance of your computer.

For starters the entire reason multi-core CPUs have developed the ability to park cores when they aren't needed is to reduce power consumption and heat production. Forcefully unparking your cores all the time will make your CPU use more energy and have a higher idle-temperature. Because...

Chayan4400

Honorable

There are downsides to forcefully unparking your CPU and it does not improve the overall performance of your computer.

For starters the entire reason multi-core CPUs have developed the ability to park cores when they aren't needed is to reduce power consumption and heat production. Forcefully unparking your cores all the time will make your CPU use more energy and have a higher idle-temperature. Because of the latter it could potentially shorten the life of your CPU... though by how much is unknown.

Additionally the supposed benefit of improved performance is highly misleading. If your computer and the software on it are working correctly your CPU cores will unpark on their own whenever there is a demand for more processing power. Unparking your CPU cores forcefully will not make your CPU perform better than it would if it unparked on it's own.

The reason unparking utilities exist is in the rare cases when a program requiring high CPU performance nonetheless behaves in a manner that keeps the CPU from unparking on it's own. Then it becomes necessary to forcefully unpark your cores to make the full processing capability of your CPU available. Some older games (predating multi-core CPUs) have this problem while newer games, as a rule, do not.

Solution