[SOLVED] Having crashes with latest drivers (RTX 3080)

Oct 13, 2022
Is anyone having trouble with the latests drivers? Since 516.94 (about two months ago or so), i'm having crashes in odd places, like after quiting a game (dying light 2), or in the beggining / end of chapters (in older games, like Plague Tale and Shadow Tactics)... reverting to an old driver (472.12) seems to have solved... i've tried a few solutions before reverting the drivers. The error logs reads error ID 0 for "nvlddmkm" origin. Is this just busted Drivers?
My specs are:
MOBO Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
32BG RAM DDR4
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
PSU EVGA 850W 80 Plus Gold
Windows 10

Solution
Hey, no OC. There is a crash where the screen goes completly black, sometimes for a few seconds, and then things start to appear again, and very rarely, a crash that demands a hard restart. There is a slight audio stutter before the crash, i read somewhere that it could be nvidia audio driver conflicting with realtek drive? i didn't try uninstalling the realtek yet, since the drive donwgrade seemed to have work for now.

Okay. So yes, this could be a driver/hardware conflict. I'd prob remove the Nvidia Adio drive first, keeping your main system drivers active.

See how that goes.

I'd also suggest testing your ram outside of windows with memtest86+. Create a bootable thumbdrive with memtest on it, and run it from the boot...
Oct 13, 2022
Hey there,

When you say crash, what exactly happens? Does it freeze, with audio stuck? Does the system BSOD? Does the entire system shutdown/restart by itself?

Are you OC'ing either the CPU or GPU? If so, run everything at stock and see if it continues.
Hey, no OC. There is a crash where the screen goes completly black, sometimes for a few seconds, and then things start to appear again, and very rarely, a crash that demands a hard restart. There is a slight audio stutter before the crash, i read somewhere that it could be nvidia audio driver conflicting with realtek drive? i didn't try uninstalling the realtek yet, since the drive donwgrade seemed to have work for now.

Okay. So yes, this could be a driver/hardware conflict. I'd prob remove the Nvidia Adio drive first, keeping your main system drivers active.

See how that goes.

I'd also suggest testing your ram outside of windows with memtest86+. Create a bootable thumbdrive with memtest on it, and run it from the boot options in bios. Run for 4 passes. Advise if there are any errors.

You might look at doing a clean install of GPU drivers with DDU (in safe mode). Then reinstall the GPU drivers fresh.

What bios are you currently running? Make sure it's up to date, an dyou've cleared CMOS after any update.

Finally, which exact PSU are you running. EVGA make some really good PSU's. They've also been known to make some turkeys some times. I suspect it's pretty decent if Gold rated (although being gold rated doesn't mean as much as it did)

Let us know how that goes.

Reactions: Lcnod0451
Solution
Oct 13, 2022

See how that goes.

I'd also suggest testing your ram outside of windows with memtest86+. Create a bootable thumbdrive with memtest on it, and run it from the boot options in bios. Run for 4 passes. Advise if there are any errors.

You might look at doing a clean install of GPU drivers with DDU (in safe mode). Then reinstall the GPU drivers fresh.

What bios are you currently running? Make sure it's up to date, an dyou've cleared CMOS after any update.

Finally, which exact PSU are you running. EVGA make some really good PSU's. They've also been known to make some turkeys some times. I suspect it's pretty decent if Gold rated (although being gold rated doesn't mean as much as it did)

Let us know how that goes.
Thank you for the reply! I'll try and report back!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 13, 2022
So, if anyone was having the same problem, I'm reporting back that since i've downloades the latest drivers, the crash has stopped, so it was definitely the GPU drivers. I dont know what was the incompatibility, but there you have it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

magic_nut

Prominent
Dec 7, 2022
Is anyone having trouble with the latests drivers? Since 516.94 (about two months ago or so), i'm having crashes in odd places, like after quiting a game (dying light 2), or in the beggining / end of chapters (in older games, like Plague Tale and Shadow Tactics)... reverting to an old driver (472.12) seems to have solved... i've tried a few solutions before reverting the drivers. The error logs reads error ID 0 for "nvlddmkm" origin. Is this just busted Drivers?
My specs are:
MOBO Asus TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
32BG RAM DDR4
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
PSU EVGA 850W 80 Plus Gold
Windows 10
Lad I could very well be mistaking but I very strongly suspect that the fact that your crashes started to appear with the latest driver is just a coincidence and the real reason for your crashing is the GPU is unstable.
When it comes to that particular crash involving nvlddmkm what actually happens I believe ( from my old experience with a gtx670 before it died on me around 2016ish is that basically your system actually has a BSOD but it automaticaly reboots on the BSOD. I would recommend trying to disable automatic reboot on system errors and see what kind of BSOD you actually get:
  1. Open the Advanced System Settings menu. ...
  2. Click Settings under "Start Up and Recovery" on the Advanced tab. ...
  3. Uncheck Automatic Restart. ...
  4. Click Ok.
" reverting to an old driver (472.12) seems to have solved."
:unsure::whistle: hmm are you confident in that?
Have you actually tried to use the system on the old drivers for a little while and not have any more instability?
I would recommend running a stress test like furmark for maybe an hour or two to try to put your GPU to the test and see if it crashes. If the problem indeed lies in the drivers you can ofcourse try to remove your old drivers with DDU https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html which is supposed to be a cleaner way of simply uninstalling them.
If you are really confident that it was the new drivers fault probably just try to use the older drivers for now 😏..
Also have you noticed any other signs of instability like artifacts , glitching , etc?

So, if anyone was having the same problem, I'm reporting back that since I've downloads the latest drivers, the crash has stopped, so it was definitely the GPU drivers. I don't know what was the incompatibility, but there you have it.

Excellent :) I'm glad that's worked out for you. Is you are happy with the result, you can choose an answer as a solution to close the thread out.