Question Having crippling issues with my RTX 2070 Super x Amd Ryzen 7 3700x 8 Core (16 gb ram). Cant get more than 20 fps on all titles and gpu cant exceed 35%

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 7, 2021
Title says it all, but I truly don't understand whats causing this. I've been following guides and potential solution steps for five days now and nothing seems to resolve my issue. I'm happy to provide any other information you all may need to help address the root cause, but I am clueless. I have tried rolling back drivers, changing uefi settings (since have reverted back to default as nothing seemed to help there), I have done an Nvidia clean up, set in the control panel "prefer maximum performance", tried different cables for dp, ac, and power to the whole pc, I have run numerous scans for malware/viruses all coming up clean, I haven't installed new software, I've gutted my pc to ensure everything is seated properly, psu is in good shape (or so it seems) as is the gpu and ram and mobo. I'm literally at a complete loss as to what to do from here.

BfV gpu usage max 34%
Rust gpu usage max 27%
Tarkov gpu usage 32%

and cpu usage averages anywhere between 50-85% for any game

also I don't know much about bottlenecks but I have been told that could be it, but I don't know why that would be the case with my set up. I've never had these issues before and I was running Rust, for example, at 120 fps 1080 with zero issues whatsoever not two months ago. I moved and didnt touch my pc for the time between now and then, but when I booted everything up 5 days ago nothing would run properly. please help.

specs again

Device name DESKTOP-9NGMQN4
GPU RTX 2070 SUPER
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Jul 7, 2021
It looks like a 240mm (2x120mm fan) should fit at the front. You would also need a fan at the rear where the current cooler is to exhaust the hot air. I take it you took the cpu cooler/pump off the cpu.
I did take it off, yes. I realize that I now need to wait until I get the new cooler to even use it since I took the thermal paste off as well.. oof. Anyway, I’m going to order a 240 mm aio, but when I get it, do I also need to buy a single fan for exhaust? Or could I use the one that was on the back of the current cooler? (It’s separate from the cooler itself and has its own power.)

I did take it off, yes. I realize that I now need to wait until I get the new cooler to even use it since I took the thermal paste off as well.. oof. Anyway, I’m going to order a 240 mm aio, but when I get it, do I also need to buy a single fan for exhaust? Or could I use the one that was on the back of the current cooler? (It’s separate from the cooler itself and has its own power.)
You can reuse the fan from the current cooler. Fans on AIO’s are designed for higher static pressure and fans for cases are designed for higher airflow. However the performance difference should not be worth worrying about.

Jul 7, 2021
You can reuse the fan from the current cooler. Fans on AIO’s are designed for higher static pressure and fans for cases are designed for higher airflow. However the performance difference should not be worth worrying about.
Perfect. Thank you so much for all your help man, I never would’ve been able to diagnose this issue without your help/guidance and therefore prolly would’ve spent many more days scratching my head. I really really appreciate all your responses and willingness to help me out.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Two things I noticed:

GPU is not in the top slot. On the B450M AC that means you are running the graphics card through the chipset at PCIe 2.0 not PCIe 3.0 directly connected to the CPU. This is a simple and immediate change you should make.

1TB SSD is nearly completely full, which is why it is performing so poorly in UserBenchMark. It has no room to move files around and can't emulate faster flash types. I suggest cleaning some things off your SSD and see if that helps. The system might be having performance issues because virtual memory may be slow to access and update if the drive is constantly shuffling data around on the remaining space.

I see you have an empty M.2 slot, that would be a good place for an additional storage drive.

Jul 15, 2021
I don't know If I am correct but, Is the radiator sideways?
If it is, turn it upwards. I had some issues with my AIO watercooling kit and room in my case. It totaly destroyed the flow of the fluids in the closed system.
When I turned the radiator upwards, it improved the cooling.
I have my 5600X running on a AIO watercooling kit with 120mm fan/radiator block. No thermal issues after this, My case looks about the same size.

And what is allready pointed out by many,:Is the coolingblock seated correctly? This can give problems too. Thermals seem to look right, but the PC is not performing like it should.
Too much or too little thermal paste can be a problem too. I fixed a custom build PC for my neighbors yesterday, The company who build used so much cooling paste it was flowing out of the sides. Problem was solved by reducing the too much applied standard thermal paste.