Having Driver problems after moving 2k drive between machi..

I have moved my hard drive from a HP (Compaq) nc4000 to an nc6000. When I
boot, I get a blue screen telling me that the drive is not accessible -
inaccessible_boot_device. I have a bootable partitions with both XP and
2000 that I can use to fix this but I can't figure out how to get the old
2000 running so I can install the new device drivers.

I tried reinstall over the non booting 2000 but the install forces me to
delete the old version and I loose all my installed programs

Any ideas?

Kalbo

dl

It is not neccessary to format / install
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106

"?Farley" <Nonya@here.com> wrote in message
> I have moved my hard drive from a HP (Compaq) nc4000 to an nc6000. When I
> boot, I get a blue screen telling me that the drive is not accessible -
> inaccessible_boot_device. I have a bootable partitions with both XP and
> 2000 that I can use to fix this but I can't figure out how to get the old
> 2000 running so I can install the new device drivers.
>
> I tried reinstall over the non booting 2000 but the install forces me to
> delete the old version and I loose all my installed programs
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Kalbo

I tried this. It does not tell me I have to format, just that the
installation process will delete the current installation of 2000 Pro, which
it does. I have done what you suggested in the past and it has reinstalled
2K over the old installation. The CD I'm using now is the one I used to
install in the first place (built in SP3) but is a newer version that I have
used in the past. Could this be the reason?

Farley

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> It is not neccessary to format / install
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
>
> "?Farley" <Nonya@here.com> wrote in message
> > I have moved my hard drive from a HP (Compaq) nc4000 to an nc6000. When
> > boot, I get a blue screen telling me that the drive is not accessible -
> > inaccessible_boot_device. I have a bootable partitions with both XP and
> > 2000 that I can use to fix this but I can't figure out how to get the
old
> > 2000 running so I can install the new device drivers.
> >
> > I tried reinstall over the non booting 2000 but the install forces me to
> > delete the old version and I loose all my installed programs
> >
> > Any ideas?

dl

Its a while since I did a reinstallation/repair so I cannot remember the
exact wording given in the process.
However providing the process detects the origonal win2k install it will
repair it, in the process overwriting certain settings. This is different
than formatting or deleting.
Deleting a win2k install will not delete your apps, unless you have
installed them in odd places

"?Farley" <nonya> wrote in message
> I tried this. It does not tell me I have to format, just that the
> installation process will delete the current installation of 2000 Pro,
which
> it does. I have done what you suggested in the past and it has
reinstalled
> 2K over the old installation. The CD I'm using now is the one I used to
> install in the first place (built in SP3) but is a newer version that I
have
> used in the past. Could this be the reason?
>
> Farley
>
> "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > It is not neccessary to format / install
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292175
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
> >
> > "?Farley" <Nonya@here.com> wrote in message
> > > I have moved my hard drive from a HP (Compaq) nc4000 to an nc6000.
When
> > > boot, I get a blue screen telling me that the drive is not
accessible -
> > > inaccessible_boot_device. I have a bootable partitions with both XP
and
> > > 2000 that I can use to fix this but I can't figure out how to get the
> old
> > > 2000 running so I can install the new device drivers.
> > >
> > > I tried reinstall over the non booting 2000 but the install forces me
> > > delete the old version and I loose all my installed programs
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

dl

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125
also relevant

> Its a while since I did a reinstallation/repair so I cannot remember the
> exact wording given in the process.
> However providing the process detects the origonal win2k install it will
> repair it, in the process overwriting certain settings. This is different
> than formatting or deleting.
> Deleting a win2k install will not delete your apps, unless you have
> installed them in odd places
>
> "?Farley" <nonya> wrote in message
> > I tried this. It does not tell me I have to format, just that the
> > installation process will delete the current installation of 2000 Pro,
> which
> > it does. I have done what you suggested in the past and it has
> reinstalled
> > 2K over the old installation. The CD I'm using now is the one I used to
> > install in the first place (built in SP3) but is a newer version that I
> have
> > used in the past. Could this be the reason?
> >
> > Farley
> >
> > "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > > It is not neccessary to format / install
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292175
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
> > >
> > > "?Farley" <Nonya@here.com> wrote in message
> When
> accessible -
> and
> > old

It worked this time. Not sure why it didn't work last time.

Thanks

"DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> Its a while since I did a reinstallation/repair so I cannot remember the
> exact wording given in the process.
> However providing the process detects the origonal win2k install it will
> repair it, in the process overwriting certain settings. This is different
> than formatting or deleting.
> Deleting a win2k install will not delete your apps, unless you have
> installed them in odd places
>
> "?Farley" <nonya> wrote in message
> > I tried this. It does not tell me I have to format, just that the
> > installation process will delete the current installation of 2000 Pro,
> which
> > it does. I have done what you suggested in the past and it has
> reinstalled
> > 2K over the old installation. The CD I'm using now is the one I used to
> > install in the first place (built in SP3) but is a newer version that I
> have
> > used in the past. Could this be the reason?
> >
> > Farley
> >
> > "DL" <dl@spoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > > It is not neccessary to format / install
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=292175
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268106
> > >
> > > "?Farley" <Nonya@here.com> wrote in message
> When