Question Having files save to HDD not SSD

Jun 30, 2019
So my downloads go to D: drive like they are supposed to, but when opening setups etc. the data installs to my c: drive the SSD(boot drive).
I need files to go into the D: drive, my storage drive (HDD). Except for the windows updates of course. I will be storing bunch of games on my HDD and not much can fit into the 250gb SSD.

I have tried many things including: changing where apps,music, documents will save in settings, file explorer documents, pics, i have tried ragedit way, no luck there and it seems all the solutions on the internet make no difference.

When installing games that are not on steam they will install to c: drive which i can't have happening. I can choose where downloads go, but when opening the zip files they go in c: drive :(.
Also if there is a way to choose manually where files will be installed in windows(not browser downloads) that would be fine as well.

I hope we can find a solution guys.
Thanks in advance.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I am completely unclear as to whether you're talking about installed programs (typically use an exe file) or portable programs (typically use a ZIP file).

Most installers will give you an option during install to choose where they are to be installed, as entries will be created in the system registry that point to the actual drive and folder where things are located.

For portable programs, you simply move the ZIP file to the folder where you want the program to be kept (I won't say installed, because it's not truly installed - there are no registry entries) and unzip it there.

More clarity is needed with regard to exactly what you're doing, what the actual result has been, and what you want it to be.

Jun 30, 2019
I am completely unclear as to whether you're talking about installed programs (typically use an exe file) or portable programs (typically use a ZIP file).

Most installers will give you an option during install to choose where they are to be installed, as entries will be created in the system registry that point to the actual drive and folder where things are located.

For portable programs, you simply move the ZIP file to the folder where you want the program to be kept (I won't say installed, because it's not truly installed - there are no registry entries) and unzip it there.

More clarity is needed with regard to exactly what you're doing, what the actual result has been, and what you want it to be.
I'm talking about zip files. Exe files go where they are supposed to. These apps don't have installers though and just install them automatically unfortunately.

And then about that where the zip file is located it will be installed. That makes sense, but in my case it doesn't work that way. I have the zip file on my HDD and the app or game will be installed on my SSD :(

My goal is to get unzipped files to my hdd and not my ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
So my downloads go to D: drive like they are supposed to, but when opening setups etc. the data installs to my c: drive the SSD(boot drive).
A competent unzip tool will allow you to extract to wherever you desire.
WinRAR does this.

After it is unzipped, it would then be a regular install, and you should be able to choose where it installs to. Like any reasonable program does.

What, specifically, are you unzipping?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I suppose I am going to have to install apps that cant be chosen where to install them and then just move them to my HDD.

that won't work, it will just break the program itself. The way programs install require registry entries in most cases, moving folder just breaks links.

how much space you got free on ssd? I only have a 250 myself, only files on C are windows and applications that would need to be reinstalled with windows, still leaves me 166gb free space. Are you sure you need to move everything? Just makes cleaning up after next reinstall more painful. I have every library folder + Onedrive on my hdd. And Steam library obviously.

TRENDING THREADS