Having huge latency spikes in Win 8.1. (as well as in Win 10)

Vepar_DJ

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Here's the problem. Whenever I listen to the music and scroll PDF documents in any reader (Foxit, Sumatra...), the entire system starts to lag and sound starts cracking and slowing down during the scrolling. Even slow scrolling causes issues, which is pretty irritating.

Also, Flash is working slow, as in, HD video playback is like molasses.

The same issue happened in both Windows 10 and Win 8.1. (which I have installed now, thinking that the problem wouldn't repeat, but it did).
Running LatencyMon showed that the DirectX Graphics Kernel and Nvidia Windows Kernel are the main culprits alongside the audio driver, it would seem. I'm no expert, of course, so that's why I'm asking you guys. Any help would be appreciated.

After I uninstalled the Nvidia driver, there was no scrolling issue. I've downloaded one of the older drivers, that is, the older driver from December which repeated the same issue. I'll have to try something else.

System configuration:
OS version: Windows 8.1 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: MS-7592, MSI, G41M-P28 (MS-7592)
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8191 MB total (DDR3 1066 MHz)
Video card: GeForce 750 Ti 2 GB

p.s. I have an SSD hard drive as the main hard drive which I have installed a couple days ago (I had no issues with the regular hard drive under Win 8.1, but would SSD have really caused latency issues?). Kingston 120 GB, but since I have a G41 motherboard, I can't run it in AHCI mode.

Solution
have you install latest update? and Intel Rapid Storage Driver?
I forget that actually there is an option to optimize parition for SSD in Windows Disk Management or 3rd party apps.

Janemba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
have you install latest update? and Intel Rapid Storage Driver?
I forget that actually there is an option to optimize parition for SSD in Windows Disk Management or 3rd party apps.

Solution

Vepar_DJ

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Thanks for answering.

Done everything I could, actually, and it didn't change anything. Installed every possible driver, and nothing changed.

However, the strangest thing happened the other day. I switched the main hard drive to the other SATA port, and for some reason that solved the problem. I honestly don't know why everything's working properly now, but I couldn't be happier.