Question Having issues with a GTX1060 6GB

Mickey11

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Hello!

So lately I have had this issue where, regardless of the games I play, the GPU gets stuck at 100% of usage and the CPU lays around 10% of usage. I get consistently 8-10fps regardless of the game and regardless of the quality settings. The only game I am able to play is Minecraft, vanilla or modded at around 80fps but even that the GPU utilization bounces between 60 to 80% of usage. I assume thats because Minecraft it's a CPU intensive game instead of the GPU. Before, the GPU would stay around 30%

I have a ROG Strix Scar II laptop

Stuff I have done so far:
-set on the Nvidia menus to the highest performance mode
-rolled back nvidia drivers to old versions (I tried one from February and other one from January of this year)
-reinstalled Windows on the SSD, everything was gone from my SSD where programs, the OS are stored in. Stuff from my HDD were kept
- rolled back windows build version (latest at this moment) to the 1909 version
-when I rolled to the 1909 version I repeated the first step on the nvidia drivers
-opened my computer to see if everything was fine, everything is clean, no dust, no temps issues at all

And still couldn't fix my issue and I am running out of ideas. I really dont want to think my gpu is dying, this happened all of a sudden. What I have been done these weeks just like always just surfing on social media, youtube, gaming (my games are from Steam and Epic Games launcher)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210502115531.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 236 GB (65 GB Free); D: 931 GB (447 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL504GM, ver 1.0, s/n n0cv1828mb0004096
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ASUS - 1072009, s/n J7NRCV00A007290
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have to mention that my laptop also has a GTX1060 6GB

FurMark benchmark: https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=349128

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? You can use CPU_Z to help you identify your BIOS version. When you speak of rolling back your drivers, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU driver? Following that, when reinstalling said driver, did you manually install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You should manually install all drivers necessary for your laptop, manually(in the step above) sourced from Asus's support site. You should disconnect from the www and have the drivers saved onto an USB drive to prevent the OS from downloading drivers it thinks is right.

Mickey11

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Hello, thank you :)

BIOS version is GL504GM.311 from 03/02/2020 (I noticed it might be quite old but still I don't think the BIOS version would be the issue)

I never heard of DDU so I didnt know about that. Will do some research on Google. The drivers rollback I got it from the Nvidia website and using Geforce Experience software.

I will do some search about what you say on the 2nd paragraph because I don't have much experience installing most stuff in offline mode

I will keep this updated if I do any progress

Hello!

So lately I have had this issue where, regardless of the games I play, the GPU gets stuck at 100% of usage and the CPU lays around 10% of usage. I get consistently 8-10fps regardless of the game and regardless of the quality settings. The only game I am able to play is Minecraft, vanilla or modded at around 80fps but even that the GPU utilization bounces between 60 to 80% of usage. I assume thats because Minecraft it's a CPU intensive game instead of the GPU. Before, the GPU would stay around 30%

I have a ROG Strix Scar II laptop

Stuff I have done so far:
-set on the Nvidia menus to the highest performance mode
-rolled back nvidia drivers to old versions (I tried one from February and other one from January of this year)
-reinstalled Windows on the SSD, everything was gone from my SSD where programs, the OS are stored in. Stuff from my HDD were kept
- rolled back windows build version (latest at this moment) to the 1909 version
-when I rolled to the 1909 version I repeated the first step on the nvidia drivers
-opened my computer to see if everything was fine, everything is clean, no dust, no temps issues at all

And still couldn't fix my issue and I am running out of ideas. I really dont want to think my gpu is dying, this happened all of a sudden. What I have been done these weeks just like always just surfing on social media, youtube, gaming (my games are from Steam and Epic Games launcher)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210502115531.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 236 GB (65 GB Free); D: 931 GB (447 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GL504GM, ver 1.0, s/n n0cv1828mb0004096
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ASUS - 1072009, s/n J7NRCV00A007290
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I have to mention that my laptop also has a GTX1060 6GB

FurMark benchmark: https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=349128

Are you sure the games are running on the 1060 ? It sounds more like they are running on the Intel graphics at 8-10fps.

Mickey11

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing? You can use CPU_Z to help you identify your BIOS version. When you speak of rolling back your drivers, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU driver? Following that, when reinstalling said driver, did you manually install them in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You should manually install all drivers necessary for your laptop, manually(in the step above) sourced from Asus's support site. You should disconnect from the www and have the drivers saved onto an USB drive to prevent the OS from downloading drivers it thinks is right.

Okay so I tried DDU but unfortunately didn't work. However I installed Precision X1 from EVGA and it tells me that the GPU clock is stuck at 139MHz