[SOLVED] Having issues with a new ethernet adapter.

Jun 14, 2021
I just a bought a USB to RJ45 adapter. I have a 40 mbps internet connection and this adapter is a 10/100 adapter, so it should be outputting 100 mbps. It is not. Here are a bunch of the main problems, and observations i made.

1. It works on my laptop which has a ethernet port that isnt broken.

2.This computer is capable of getting 40 just fine.

3. I tried USB 3.0, didnt change anything

4.I got the right drivers, it came with a CD.

5. I used the same adapter on said laptop and achieved the same speeds.

6. It doesn't even display the option to change Speed and Duplex.

Please help, I know a better quality Gigabit adapter would probably fix this, but im struggling to find one near me. My motherboard is a GALAX a320M, and I use a Ryzen 5 3400G. Thanks in advance for your help cuz this has been driving me up the wall. If you would like to see images:
https://preview.redd.it/jml8hua7zz3...bp&s=a6884931162c39722eccc2d805f2d512f937bce1

https://preview.redd.it/637esua7zz3...bp&s=c4b9366f03c9c9bd08bfcc102b8d5cedc7c5fcf9

Solution
Cables are really strange when they fail. Some devices are more tolerant of a cable that is slightly out of spec. There are also massive amounts of fake ethernet cables being sold. Those flat cables maybe cheaper but that is because they have thinner wires than is allowed to meet the standards of a ethernet cable. You need pure copper cables with wire size 22-24

popatim

Titan
While you're connection to network router should be 100Mb/s, you still would have 40Mb/s internet speeds at best.

Please link us to the exact adapter you bought and include your systems specs, along with whichever OS you are running on it.

I am unclear what your problem is. What speed do you get on the adapter when you run something like speedtest.

In general you never want to set the 10/100 settings anyway so it should not affect you if it only supports auto. Setting it to something other than auto can confuse the router since it is set to auto and most times can't be changed.

Jun 14, 2021
While you're connection to network router should be 100Mb/s, you still would have 40Mb/s internet speeds at best.

Please link us to the exact adapter you bought and include your systems specs, along with whichever OS you are running on it.
Sorry for not making it clear, but I am only getting 6-ish mbps when connected which is slower than my wifi connection of 40 mbps.

My computer is run on Windows with a AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, a GALAX A320M motherboard, and a 256GB HDD.

I bought the adapter at a store nearby and is just unmarked and doesnt have a name. I did get drivers with it and they did not change anything, if that is what you're curious about.

Jun 14, 2021
I am unclear what your problem is. What speed do you get on the adapter when you run something like speedtest.

In general you never want to set the 10/100 settings anyway so it should not affect you if it only supports auto. Setting it to something other than auto can confuse the router since it is set to auto and most times can't be changed.
The problem, I believe, is that it is defaulting to 10 mbps for some reason. No idea how to fix that tho.

You should be able to see the speed in the status settings on the ethernet network screen. Microsoft has changed this around between patches so I forget.

This is almost always related to a ethernet cable problem but it could be a poor quality adapter I guess. I would try a different cable and see if you get lucky.

There is very little you can do about this. Many times if you would try to force it to 100mbps and it would only work on 10mbps it will just not come up at all.

This is very strange it is very common for a port to only run at 100m rather than 1gbit but to drop to 10mbps is uncommon. In any case it is almost always a cable.

Jun 14, 2021
You should be able to see the speed in the status settings on the ethernet network screen. Microsoft has changed this around between patches so I forget.

This is almost always related to a ethernet cable problem but it could be a poor quality adapter I guess. I would try a different cable and see if you get lucky.

There is very little you can do about this. Many times if you would try to force it to 100mbps and it would only work on 10mbps it will just not come up at all.

This is very strange it is very common for a port to only run at 100m rather than 1gbit but to drop to 10mbps is uncommon. In any case it is almost always a cable.

Ik the cable could be at fault, but it is working with my laptop. and getting 100 mbps

Cables are really strange when they fail. Some devices are more tolerant of a cable that is slightly out of spec. There are also massive amounts of fake ethernet cables being sold. Those flat cables maybe cheaper but that is because they have thinner wires than is allowed to meet the standards of a ethernet cable. You need pure copper cables with wire size 22-24

Solution