Question Having issues with an Acer Aspire E1

ThatTonybo

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
I got an Acer Aspire E1-572 from a pawn brokers for free, it was sitting in their shelves and was "broken", so I took it.

Anyways, I got a charger, plugged it in and it turns on. But, no display at all. The only light on seems to be the power light, battery in or not. I can't get anything on screen using VGA or HDMI, and I've opened it up to check the display cable was in.

Anybody have some ideas on what to do?

ps. Even if it's just a for-dead PC, it has 6gb of memory, a working copy of Windows 8 and a 320gb HDD, so at the worst I got some parts from it.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Possibly that motherboard is dead.

and if it's working you must have some proof about it.

Resetting the CMOS battery would be the easiest and cheapest option you can try.

6 GB ddr3 RAM and 320 GB HDD doesn't have much value these days but not too bad if you you got it for free.

Battery is not required if it's directly plugged in to the charger.

Last edited:

ThatTonybo

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Possibly that motherboard is dead.

and if it's working you must have some proof about it.

Resetting the CMOS battery would be the easiest and cheapest option you can try.

6 GB ddr3 RAM and 320 GB HDD doesn't have much value these days but not too bad if you you got it for free.

Battery is not required if it's directly plugged in to the charger.
Pretty sure the CMOS is wired directly to the board, and I totally understand that, but I work with a lot of older stock so they're great finds for me at least.

As for the motherboard being dead or not, is there any way to specifically test that? I'm sure the computer was dropped a couple times because it's real dinted and broken, might take some pictures and upload them just to show.