Having issues with my PC... I think..?

Sithire

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Ok so im having issues with my PC I think...? I recently really started to notice the problem when I started playing fallout 4. I have a GTX 970, I5 4690k, 8GB ram. But I can hardly run fallout 4 on ultra. I only get about 30 FPS. But I think my issue is my RAM. I use hardware monitor and I have noticed that the longer my PC is on the lower my "Available memory" will go down. When I restart my PC it starts at 6.4 even tho i have 8gb. then over a course of a few hours it will drop down to 0.3 eventually causing my PC to freeze and need a restart to get back to 6.4... Is my RAM bad? Is this why im getting bad FPS? Thanks In advance.

thatmoney

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Could be a bug from Fallout 4 that is causing memory leak, I belive they will be coming out with patches soon. If you think your ram is bad you can download memtest 86 and boot off it to test your ram.

In computer terms,

We call it a memory leak.
Or what i should say is a bit of software or a program where memory leakage is happening.
It can happen mostly to do with back ground tasks or program running in windows.
Primary culprits of this if memory resources on your system become lower often come from programs set to auto run after windows has loaded.

Or daft programs we call bloat ware found on pre built systems.

To resolve the problem.
Click on start in windows.
In the search box type :Msconfig

Click on the search result msconfig and run it.
Click on the startup tab in the window.
You will see a list of all programs set to run after windows has loaded.
Simply untick the programs in the list you wish not to auto run after windows has loaded.
Click ok, and restart your system.

Each program that is set to auto run after windows has loaded will do two things.
First it will reduce the amount of system memory available for windows to use.
Secondly each program set to auto run will also use up cpu processing time.

Fallout 3 suffered from memory leakage, so i have no doubt fallout 4 may also.

Sithire

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks for the answers but This has actually been an ongoing problem! This has been an issue with many game for a few months but I just really started to realize how bad it was with fallout 4. My computer will even crash If im not using it. for example sometimes Ill leave my computer on overnight and When I comeback there will be some kind of memory error (Cant remember what it exactly says) then Ill click on and everything I do on my PC will Be VERY slow and will crash and black screen (even the internet and file browser) then followed shortly after with ethier a blue screen freeze or just a PC freeze that requires a restart. I feel like with my specs if my computer was running properly I shouldn't be getting 30-40fps in fallout 4 but i think that is due to some kind of PC error that im unsure of.

FOr example I just restarted my PC and this is a screenshot of what the "Memory" section looks like on hardware monitor.. even just after restart its at 1.9GB.

https://gyazo.com/489591d83b51b959900b3b0e85814c37