Question Having issues with my second monitor being detected

Mar 18, 2019
I've been having issues with my second monitor (An E2060SWD AOC Monitor) being detected by my computer. It has (mostly) worked as a second monitor for the past three months I've had it, but over the past few days my computer has been unable to detect it for some reason, though my main monitor (ASUS VG 245H) has been working fine. And just to be clear, when I say 'unable to detect', I mean that my computer did not recognize the second monitor being connected at all (like when you got to display settings, you can detect another monitor, to which it said there wasn't any connected. Also there was only one monitor displayed in Device Manager).

I had attempted many fixes to this issue (rerolling my graphics driver, uninstalling the graphics drivers entirely, unplugging/replugging in all the connections to my second monitor, turning the power off entirely to my computers/monitors) all to no avail. At first I thought the issue was with the second monitor itself, or perhaps the VGA cable, but I tried using them on my old computer and on a laptop I had around, and the monitor worked in both of those cases, so then I thought it had to be my adapter. To connect my second monitor (AOC) to my computer, a VGA to DP converter/adapter is required (I'm using a GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card that has one HDMI input and 3 DisplayPort inputs), so I thought the adapter must be broken, so I ended up buying a new one from Amazon. I ended up using the new adapter just this morning, but the problem persisted, so I switched back to the old adapter (intending to send back the new adapter). I tried a few more things (system restore, updating other drivers than the graphics), but nothing worked, until an hour or so ago. I was just messing around switching which display port (since there are three) the adapter was connected to, and all of a sudden my second monitor turned on. I don't understand why this happened (because I had tried all 3 display ports before, many times, to no avail), and for the moment I am happy, but I am afraid that my second monitor is going to suddenly turn off again, and I don't know why. Can anyone help explain what my issue is/was and what is happening?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS