Question having issues with new ram (2x16gb 3600mhz not going at its intended speed)

Sep 1, 2022
Specs:
RTX 2060
Ryzen 7 2700
x470 gaming plus msi motherboard
1 sabrent ssd nvme m.2 500gb
1 barracuda hdd 1tb
TX650M 650w 80+ gold psu

Hello! So basically i wanted to upgrade to 32gb of ram and today they came there (Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x16gb 3600mhz c18)
The issue is that, when i turn on the pc with the new ram, the pc doesnt simply boot in (but all rgb lights and fan are working).
I tried putting the old ram back again (Ballistix sports 2x8gb 3000mhz cl15), and it works perfectly even at 3600mhz cl18.
So i turned XMP off on the bios (which i also updated to the latest version), and with the new sticks i can finally boot in, but i cant go higher than 2400mhz. As soon as i set 3200 mhz or more, my pc simply wont boot anymore. So i am forced to clear CMOS and run only 2400mhz maximum.
I tried i think everything, any ideas of what might be the issue?

Set your XMP profile ,then go down to memory voltage and set it to 1.35 to 1.4 volts and try to boot.
If that fails .
Shut down computer. Unplug power supply.
Press the start button. Fans might kick for a fraction of a second.
Remove CMOS battery.
Short Clear CMOS jumpers or button.
Wait a few more minutes.
Replace the battery correctly.
Replace power cord.
Start computer.
Give it a minute. It must memory retrain.
Boot into bios and set XMP and voltage again.
Save and exit.
It will go through memory retraining again so be patient.

Sep 1, 2022
it didnt work out..
I investigated a bit more and i realized that this specific ram is not listed in the compatibily QVL of my MOBO, so maybe thats the issue?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Qvl doesn't mean much, they're only kits tested at that time and doesn't mean only those will work out of all kits produced after the motherboard was made but it is a guideline nonetheless.

Which ram slots are you using? They should be in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Cpu -> empty -> ram -> empty -> ram -> edge of board.

Sep 1, 2022
I investigated a bit more and i realized that this specific ram is not listed in the compatibily QVL of my MOBO, so maybe th
Qvl doesn't mean much, they're only kits tested at that time and doesn't mean only those will work out of all kits produced after the motherboard was made but it is a guideline nonetheless.

Which ram slots are you using? They should be in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Cpu -> empty -> ram -> empty -> ram -> edge of board.
Yes i am using the correct slots for dual channel

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looking at your kit on Corsair site x570 is listed but not x470. Could be at the mercy of 2700's memory controller not compatible with that ram. 5 series boards would support higher speeds but compatibility mostly comes from cpu. Could try another set/ brand, maybe Gskill. Look at their compatibility lists. Try your luck updating bios for extended memory support. Or upgrade cpu to 5000 might be worth considering. Not only for increased ram support but for significant performance gains and much better ipc.

Sep 1, 2022
Looking at your kit on Corsair site x570 is listed but not x470. Could be at the mercy of 2700's memory controller not compatible with that ram. 5 series boards would support higher speeds but compatibility mostly comes from cpu. Could try another set/ brand, maybe Gskill. Look at their compatibility lists. Try your luck updating bios for extended memory support. Or upgrade cpu to 5000 might be worth considering. Not only for increased ram support but for significant performance gains and much better ipc.
Alright! might look for that then. Thank you so much

Reactions: boju
Specs:
RTX 2060
Ryzen 7 2700
x470 gaming plus msi motherboard
1 sabrent ssd nvme m.2 500gb
1 barracuda hdd 1tb
TX650M 650w 80+ gold psu

Hello! So basically i wanted to upgrade to 32gb of ram and today they came there (Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x16gb 3600mhz c18)
The issue is that, when i turn on the pc with the new ram, the pc doesnt simply boot in (but all rgb lights and fan are working).
I tried putting the old ram back again (Ballistix sports 2x8gb 3000mhz cl15), and it works perfectly even at 3600mhz cl18.
So i turned XMP off on the bios (which i also updated to the latest version), and with the new sticks i can finally boot in, but i cant go higher than 2400mhz. As soon as i set 3200 mhz or more, my pc simply wont boot anymore. So i am forced to clear CMOS and run only 2400mhz maximum.
I tried i think everything, any ideas of what might be the issue?
If you have the proper bios and you tried cmos clear and you tried the voltages then perhaps it's time to send the ram back.

Perhaps look here they say their ram will work.
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/msi-(micro-star)/x470-gaming-plus

Just curious can you boot something other than windows?

TRENDING THREADS