Having Issues With SLI

May 1, 2018
Hello,

I am new to SLI and am having issues getting it to work. I have an asus crosshair VII Hero wifi, an AMD 7 2700x, 2 1080s(with the SLI bridge that came with the motherboard) and a 1T 960 evo m.2 NVMe. I have my first GPU in the PCI-e slot 1 and the second in the 3rd slot. In the bios I am told that the first card is running at x8 native and the second at x4 native so I can't get the SLI option in the Nvidia control panel. Am I out of lanes? If so than is there some way that I can fix this without having to give up my m.2? I have tried driver updates and clean installs of Nvidia control panel and made sure that the motherboard has all of the proper plugs plugged in. Thank you!

UPDATE

Thank you everybody for responding! I ended up having some odd Bios issues regarding memory and had to set my m.2 to enable raid mode which caused SLI to appear. I am having other issues with my bios now but I will post that somewhere else.

Solution
What M.2 slot do you have your card in? the one above the PCI-e 1 slot (M.2_2)or the below the PCI-e 2 slot (M.2_1)? If its in the top one it will make the PCI-e 2 slot run at 4x and you cant sli Nvidia cards on a 4x lane.

GPU's need to be in the marked PCI-e slots and the M.2 needs to be in the lower M.2 slot, you will run 8x/8x on gpus and 4x on M.2
u2qUZZx.jpg

You can also reference page 1-8 in the manual for slot placement.

WRONG, this is for apu, he has Ryzen 2nd gen so it does not apply.
Ok, first of all check the manual carefully, you need to put the videocards in 1st 16X slot and 2nd 16X slot.(the metal ones)

My bad, I had a slight reading failure.

What M.2 slot do you have your card in? the one above the PCI-e 1 slot (M.2_2)or the below the PCI-e 2 slot (M.2_1)? If its in the top one it will make the PCI-e 2 slot run at 4x and you cant sli Nvidia cards on a 4x lane.

GPU's need to be in the marked PCI-e slots and the M.2 needs to be in the lower M.2 slot, you will run 8x/8x on gpus and 4x on M.2
u2qUZZx.jpg

You can also reference page 1-8 in the manual for slot placement.

Solution