Having issues with sudden and severe FPS drops

DesertHawk

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hi All,

I am having an issue where during gaming my PC will random just drop FPS down from say 100 FPS to 20-30 or in some cases 1 FPS. Yes 1!

It will stay like that for 5-10 mins then reverts and everything is ok. On less demanding games it seems to be less severe such as PUBG but newer games like battlefield it will sometimes crash the game.

it also seems to happen between rounds. So round 1 might work ok but by the time the next game or round loads it is unplayable.

Last year i rebuilt my entire PC with the following specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Wifi
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RTX 2080ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700x
RAM: 4x 8gb Trident Z RGB 14CL 3200mhz
Storage: m2 SSD and HDDs

However, i have had some issues since building. First it was just failure to boot if i had XMP profile enabled. It would work fine for a week then fail to boot a number of times and revert to default (this is when i only had 2x8gb sticks).

So then i started trying to get more stability by using the AMD Ryzen Calc for Ram to ensure all the timings were correct. Had a lot of issues with stability and couldn't get anything stable above stock of 2133mhz.

I did also fiddle with the CPU OC for a while and was running at around 4ghz with no issues. However, since having the earlier mentioned issue, i have returned everything to stock.

I approached Gigabyte support to see if it was a problem with the mobo as there have been other issues with the recently like not being able to access the BIOS but that also seems to have gone away now.

Any one else seen anything like this and have an ideas?

DesertHawk

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Nope. New m2 SSD for OS and games but i am using the same HDDs as just storage devices.

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
Sorry just re-read and noticed your ram is at 2133Mhz that's really wrong if its 3200 try removing all but one stick and boot to bios and enable xmp then reset and check the frequency in bios.

DesertHawk

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Yep. I have removed the battery for 10 mins and used the CMOS_Clr function on the mobi to reset everything

DesertHawk

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I am away from my PC for the next few days traveling but I will try then when I am back as well. I have had some issues with XMP profile as well both with 2 and 4 sticks. With 2 it would work fine at 3200 for a bit then would just fail to boot next time and reset to default. Now with 4 sticks it will eventually freeze