2 120 mm hd fans
1 Vector 256 gb Sata 6
3 x 3TB Sata Green drives 7200 rpm
32GB of DDR3
PSU is ST75F

VCORE 1.138 on Asus reading CPU-Z shows 1.128
Core Speed 4140
Multi. 41

Temps using Handbrake are steady @ 55-58 C the whole time. Temps seem high for such a low overclock based on the article I read here.

What steps can I take to get the OC up to 4.6-4.8 and not be rocking high temps?

guitarman1017

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
those temps are just fine. put the vcore at like 1.2v and see what you can get the multiplier up to. If your temps were real bad there is always delidding, which I've done, but its not for everyone. my i5-3570k hottest core hits 57c clocked at 4.4ghz with 1.192v

mr1hm

Distinguished

i havent used handbrake but, with an H100i, it does seem somewhat high. it could also just be the fact that you didn't get a "good" overclocking chip.

you could try reseating the block on the CPU while making sure you don't apply too much thermal paste (a simple line right down the middle of the CPU should be good enough). also, you can check to make sure that the block isnt overtightened onto the CPU.

mr1hm

Distinguished

nice, thats a solid cooler :). how are the temperatures when gaming? (BF3?) im using a TPC 812 right now with my i7 3770k @ 4.6GHz w/ 1.22v. temps aren't a problem but, id like to keep it under 60C when gaming :)

guitarman1017

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Temps when gaming playing WOW or GW2 dont go over 50c unless my ambient temp is over 30c. Then I can hit a "whopping" 51c.

mr1hm

Distinguished

haha, mmm 51c is quite the "whopping" amount of sexy :) in WOW my max temps seem to be around 54c but, it's that BF3... argghh :sarcastic:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Temperatures while running ___fill_in_the_blank___ games or apps means nothing, especially when no reference is given concerning Ambient temperature. What's important is to compare apples to apples. If a standardized test method is used, then a thermal test can be conducted which will yield results that are always consistent and repeatable.

Idle temperatures are also of little concern because some users are running with Speedstep enabled or disabled, some with fans at Idle or 100%, or with case covers installed or removed, or with clean cable management or a tangled bowl of spaghetti. Which load test is correct? Are we talking about CPU temperature or Core temperature? Do you know what the difference is? Sound like a lot of variables? Remember High School Science class? Ever hear of a "Controlled Experiment"?

If you really want to measure your rig's thermal performance, then a Steady-State 100% Workload (Prime95 Small FFT's) for a given duration at a given Ambient temperature is the key to conducting a proper thermal test as close as possible to how Intel conducts thermal testing in their labs. Anything less is like comparing apples to oranges, which only gives you a thermal fruit smoothie in a blender.

All of this is covered in the Intel Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Please give it a read; it'll save me from posting duplicate information again.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol:

guitarman1017

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Well computronix, the temp of 57c that I posted is running a "fill in the blank" program. Mr1hm asked me what my temps were while gaming so I told him. I referenced a ambient temp of 30c and said that I could hit 51c while gaming (which was what he was wondering). Sorry if it didnt meet your standards and we didnt "save you posting duplicate information." Someone asked a question and I answered it. His program of choice was Handbrake and was wondering what steps he could take to improve his temps. Nowhere does anyone say anything about idle temps from what I've seen. Whether the OP was taking into account all the variables that you stated is unknown. The guy just wanted some pointers to lower his temps, give him a break.

mr1hm

Distinguished

hehe, thanks guitarman :) i did take a read through it but, im still quite confused on the point he's trying to get across here (i don't mean this in an offensive way).

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Guys,

Fair enough. I intended no disrespect toward anyone. I'm here to help. I see all sorts of these temperature threads where folks get going in all different directions, then get themselves derailed because they try to compare temperatures using such a wide mix of variables, while the real goal is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

If you're concerned about your temperatures, then there's a way to approach this topic that can make sense of it for everyone by introducing a set of common denominators that will guide you to the proper findings for your particular rig.

TRENDING THREADS