Having issues with Wifi extender using old router

nafees.choudhry496

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Hi, I have set up a wifi extender network using an old router, using cat5 cable. I disabled DHCP on 2nd router but couldnt change its IP, so i kept it as, but there was another option below it saying "configure another ip and subnet mask for LAN interface'' there I changed the Ip adress. Now its working fine, just an issue that internet is limited on some devices when connected to 2nd router but works fine on other devices. Moreover when the same devices connected to 1st router internet works fine. plz help me what did i do wrong.

I have also enabled Mac filter and only added 2 mac addresses in 2nd router and rest 8 mac address along with those 2 in 1st router as i want only two devices to be connected through 2nd router.

Solution
First, the question on MAC filtering. No, on most devices MAC filtering is done on a device by device basis but on some higher end stuff (like Cisco switches for example) you can do it on a port basis. So in short, no MAC filtering affects all devices not just wireless -- so think about APs and printers and the like being whitelisted too on the main router.

Your use makes more sense now that you explain your situation. Interesting though that you even got the ADSL modem/router to work as an AP, most won't. MAC address blocking is a very poor form of security since it is easily spoofed for wireless, but in your situation if that would happen the user responsible would just permanently lose access.

Just one other point to that...

RealBeast

Titan
What models are the main router and AP router, and what IP address did you use for each? What is the DHCP address range allowed on the main router?

I would not use MAC address filtering on the first router since you are allowing all devices to connect anyway -- plus did you enter the AP MAC address in the list? Just take MAC addressing off the main router as it has no real purpose and may be the problem.

nafees.choudhry496

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

hi thanks so much for the quick reply.
1st router is tenda D301 and unfortunately i dont know the company or model of 2nd one, but its a chinese adsl modem plus router supporting 150mbps, i bought it second hand.
main routers ip i 192.168.10.1 and 2nd's ip was 192.168.1.1 which i changed to 192.168.10.30
dhcp range is 192.168.10.254 and max 20 devices are connected to main router.
I have to use the mac filtering as i am a hostelite and sharing my internet with hostel fellows, and when their friends come over(which happens a lot) they tell them the password, and i end up with <<watch the language please>>. up speeds.so mac filtering is a must. Is there another way to not allow people to connect ot my net even if they know the wifi password.

One more thing, why do i need to add the AP routers mac in the list. isnt mac filtering for wifi only, AP router is connected via cable.

RealBeast

Titan
First, the question on MAC filtering. No, on most devices MAC filtering is done on a device by device basis but on some higher end stuff (like Cisco switches for example) you can do it on a port basis. So in short, no MAC filtering affects all devices not just wireless -- so think about APs and printers and the like being whitelisted too on the main router.

Your use makes more sense now that you explain your situation. Interesting though that you even got the ADSL modem/router to work as an AP, most won't. MAC address blocking is a very poor form of security since it is easily spoofed for wireless, but in your situation if that would happen the user responsible would just permanently lose access.

Just one other point to that might assist you in thinking about how your network actually works. On your internal network the MAC addresses are used to determine where packets of data are sent, anything that goes out through the gateway uses IP addresses.

Solution

nafees.choudhry496

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017

Hi realbeast, yeah the mac thingy makes sense now. Also I looked up my 2nd router on internet and its a KASDA model KW5815U. But there is a problem, i cant for the life of me change the ip adress of this router. Once i substitute the new ip value, and press apply, it takes forever to load the page, and apply the settings, but ip is never changed.

I did the mac thing u told me on another router (some other tenda model), i added its mac address to the 1st router, and it worked. All the devices on 2nd router are now working, but i borrowed this modem, and cant use it. Can u pls tell me why cant i change the ip of KASDA router? much gratitude.

TRENDING THREADS