[SOLVED] Having major issues turning my new M.2 drive into my boot drive ?

Jun 26, 2021
So I got a WD-Black SN850 1TB and want to make it my new boot drive (from a Samsung 860 500GB.) But I've spent the past 6 hours looking at countless threads, videos, whatever trying to get it to work. I've made sure it was the only drive installed, I've disabled CSM as well as secureboot, made sure its in AHCI and not Raid, it's also in the correct slot on my motherboard (X470 Aorus Ultra,) tried reinstalling at least 2 dozen times as well, and almost every time I get a winload.efi error, saying "This application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or containing errors... Error code: 0xc0000225"
I really just want some sort of help or guidance as I'm getting super tired of this, and I don't know what to do.

Solution
Yea I've tried making a new one before. Although I've seen the format button before when running the installation media, what does it actually do because I've never had to use it before.
If you're disabling CSM, then windows install media has to support UEFI boot.
Your current install media is for legacy boot. That's why, you can't install.

Recreate install media for UEFI. Download ISO file from microsoft and use rufus for install media creation with appropriate settings.

Or just turn back on CSM and install in legacy mode.
So I got a WD-Black SN850 1TB and want to make it my new boot drive (from a Samsung 860 500GB.) But I've spent the past 6 hours looking at countless threads, videos, whatever trying to get it to work. I've made sure it was the only drive installed, I've disabled CSM as well as secureboot, made sure its in AHCI and not Raid, it's also in the correct slot on my motherboard (X470 Aorus Ultra,) tried reinstalling at least 2 dozen times as well, and almost every time I get a winload.efi error, saying "This application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or containing errors... Error code: 0xc0000225"
I really just want some sort of help or guidance as I'm getting super tired of this, and I don't know what to do.
Windows 10 ?

Jun 26, 2021
What are you installing W10 from ? How did you get it ? It looks like installation media is corrupted or incomplete.
Got it from the Microsoft website, I've been using the same USB stick for all install I've done (mine, friends, brothers, etc.) And it's worked fine. Someone above recommended trying a different USB stick. I tried doing that but now it won't even install properly on the SSD I had been using before.

Jun 26, 2021
Got it from the Microsoft website, I've been using the same USB stick for all install I've done (mine, friends, brothers, etc.) And it's worked fine. Someone above recommended trying a different USB stick. I tried doing that but now it won't even install properly on the SSD I had been using before.
Update: Went back to my original USB which installed fine on my SSD, but still not on my M.2

Yea I've tried making a new one before. Although I've seen the format button before when running the installation media, what does it actually do because I've never had to use it before.

Recreate install media for UEFI. Download ISO file from microsoft and use rufus for install media creation with appropriate settings.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I suppose that if you can at least get to the point in the windows setup where you get the option on your drives to format and partition you will then at least know that your hardware is working correct and you are then with the right settings in the bios.

Reactions: CountMike
Jun 26, 2021
I suppose that if you can at least get to the point in the windows setup where you get the option on your drives to format and partition you will then at least know that your hardware is working correct and you are then with the right settings in the bios.
I meant in the windows installation media when you're picking which drive to put windows on, there is a button that says format.

Jun 26, 2021

Tried this and then the M.2 didn't show up in my bios as a boot location after installing, only the USB drive.