[SOLVED] Having multiple C: drives and windows drives together

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all, so my current system has a Hard drive with windows installed as a C drive.

In another system I had a SSD with windows on it also installed as a C drive.

Now I want to plug said SSD into my Hard drive system to check to see if I had any files I needed to back up on it. If I plug it in, since it also had windows and is also a C: drive, will windows explode?

TLDR with drives: Old system died so im just backing up before I make a SSD with windows again.

Solution
aha, i was just being silly with the explode part.

So will my SSD automatically become another letter and I will be able to access all the files?

Thank you :)
Correct.

You run into permissions issues with the files on that drive, depending on where they are.
The default Libraries (Doc/Pictures/Vides/etc) are tied to that original user.
You just have to TakeOwnership to access those files.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows won't "explode".

The C drive is whatever the system boots from.

The old drive with its OS? That will be some other drive letter. It does not carry its own letter C.
Just make sure the system does not attempt to boot from this old drive, and all will be fine.

Reactions: Vellaura

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Windows won't "explode".

The C drive is whatever the system boots from.

The old drive with its OS? That will be some other drive letter. It does not carry its own letter C.
Just make sure the system does not attempt to boot from this old drive, and all will be fine.

So will my SSD automatically become another letter and I will be able to access all the files?

USAFRet

Titan

Correct.

You run into permissions issues with the files on that drive, depending on where they are.

Reactions: Vellaura
Solution

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Correct.

neato dorito, i'm assuming taking ownership is simple, if I were to run into it.