Having odd issues with a HDD

doomkaliber

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Greetings, Forum!

Today, I come to you in shame and confusion. I honestly, never in my days, would expect to require help with a Hard Disk Drive.

Rundown of the situation: I'm trying to run a Seagate Barracuda (1TB, 7200RPM) on a freshly built system, that recycles a few retired components form previous builds, per budget request on behalf a family member. A note I should add is that both the motherboard (GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P rev 2.1) and HDD themselves are brand new. I was able to get Windows (10) running on the SSD, but here's where the fun begins:

1) During setup, I wasn't able to create partitions out of the HDD (although it was visible), shrugging it off as a poorly connected cable, thinking I'd be able to fix the issue later on and setting it up through the Disk Management.
2) After setup and updates, I turned the system off and started checking whether both sides of the SATA cable were well plugged in and that the HDD was getting power. After that, I turned the computer on and went to Disk Management, where I was greeted by Disk Initialization. Unfortunately, regardless of following action, everything ends in a "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".
3) My first thoughts were to make sure the HDD's drivers were up to date, so I hopped over to the Device Manager where everything seemed normal. After Driver updates, the I/O error persisted.
4) My next destination was the CMOS Setup, where wanted to check two things out. What my OnChip SATA Type was and whether the Drive was discoverable in the "ATA Port Information" tab. Checking the ATA info, only the SSD was actually being recognized, so I went over to the SATA Type. I really don't remember what it was initially (likely AHCI), but I had it set to Native IDE, confident that would fix the issue so I just saved out and booted directly to windows. I once again met my good friend: The I/O Error.
5) After once again checking the ATA info with the HDD not present, my mind was fixed on the issue being physical so I started checking: Does the SATA port work? Is the Drive getting power and spinning up? Is the cable functioning properly? So, none of the above are an issue - Case closed, faulty HDD. Yet I still decided to plug it into my own PC... Where it worked perfectly right off the get go, with the first SATA cable I had plugged it in with.
6) I started getting desperate and checking things like BIOS version, only to find out it's already at the latest. Maybe voodoo rituals are next?

The only things I can add at this point are that A) I didn't format and/or partition the disk while it was in my PC and B) That I can't run Health Analysis tools - for example - when attempting to run HD Tune, it initially freezes for a moment when selecting the disk, fails to retrieve temperature and either crashes or outputs a "Read Error! Test Aborted".
Up to this point, you know I've been neck deep in forum posts and I'm honestly at a loss. I feel defeated by a Hard Drive and ask for any help on the issue, being ready to provide any additional information needed.

Sincerest thanks in advance and kindest of regards,
-Asparuh Ivanov

Solution
Try to run the " SeaTools", I think the HDD may has problem, if it does have problem, contact seagate.
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

doomkaliber

Prominent
Jul 9, 2018
Fact of the matter is that I still can not explain the behavior of the Hard Drive. As per cin19's advice I ran a disk check to face an error (Read Error), that I strongly expected due to the Drive's tendencies thus far. I've handed it over to the distributer and await further progress, which I will keep to myself in the matter. At the end of the day, I'm writing it off as a faulty hard drive.