having PC issues

Andrewefaw

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Yesterday I started my PC up (custom build) and went to the windows 8 desktop and left for a few minutes. I came back and there was a system speech bubble in the bottom right corner they said the pc was having disk issues and needed to restart. I restarted and the pc was just at a black screen for like three minutes. I then turned it off and tried to turn it back on again and it was at a black screen. Afterwards, I took apart the whole system apart and put it back together. After doing this, I got a windows 8 error screen that said windows needs to launch startup repair (press f8) or try again (press enter). I pressed f8 and the screen went black again, and I turned the pc off again after a few minutes and it won't startup again (black screen). I left it unplugged overnight and I'm the morning it won't startup again. Is there something I could do to fix this issue? Is it a problem with my hard drive? Help is greatly appreciated

Jamesinatr

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
First, reset the bios to factory defaults. If this does not fix it, make sure drive priority is set if you have multiple drives. If the sata cables are plugged in correctly, you may have a broken drive. Could you give us the name of the drive(s) please?

Andrewefaw

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Here is the entire build list:
MoBo: MSI 970A-G43
CPU: AMD FX 6300
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
GPU: XFX Radeon R7 260X
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Optical Drive
PSU: Antec 620W High Current Gamer
OS: Windows 8.1 OEM 64-Bit (Clean install, I did not pirate)

It might be important that I updated the graphics card drivers just a few hours before the problem occurred.
However, I am not sure how I am supposed to restore the motherboard to factory settings if the monitor is not detecting the pc at all. I made sure that the sata cables were connected and that the HDD was getting power. I can definitley hear it, so I know that it is moving, however, I am not sure if this means that it is not broken.