[SOLVED] having pc trouble after getting new ram

May 30, 2020
I have a gaming pc that worked perfectly before this issue im having. I decided to upgrade my ram as I only had 8 before. I bought Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2666MHz 16GB but when i installed them with my old 2x4gb ones my pc didn't turn on. i took out one of my old ones and then it turned on.

however I cound't play warhammer vermintide2 at low graphics with anything resembeling good fps. talking 20fps when at the night before i could run at a stable 60 at high graphics

tried taking out the new ones and setting in the old ones and for some reasson i could barly have google chrome open and my memory would be at 92%

would really apriciate some help

Solution
Don't you hate it when you fix something that is not broken? :(

What is the exact make/model of your motherboard, cpu and ram?

Running with only 4gb is going to cause all sorts of problems. That is likely why you wanted more ram in the first place.
When you reinstalled the old 2 x 4gb, you possibly did not seat one of the sticks well.

Ram must be matched to insure proper operation.
That is likely the source of your problem.

Running with only 4gb is going to cause all sorts of problems. That is likely why you wanted more ram in the first place.
When you reinstalled the old 2 x 4gb, you possibly did not seat one of the sticks well.

Solution
May 30, 2020

motherboard is Z170 PRO GAMING (LGA1151)

CPU is Intel Core i5 6500

old ram is
4096 MBytes
Manufacturer Kingston
Max Bandwidth DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)
new ram is
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz (PC4-21300) CL16 XMP 2.0

if it helps I've noticed that my processor usage is about 20-30% higher than the programs using it combined and memory is about 20% usage when nothing is draining it

as seating the sticks correctly I'm fairly certain I've done it correctly as I've done it several times

edit: ive got the pc to turn on with all the sticks of ram in at once but the pc still didn't work correctly. Using other programs than task manager ive noticed that 5-8 bg of ram ios being used for no reasson at al

Last edited:
May 30, 2020
It is not surprising that your new and old ram do not work together.
Ram must be matched.

Test your new ram.
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
aight so I'm just replying to tell you my pc works now. I have no reason why but hey we take those. thanks for trying to help me though!