Having problem updating XP on new system?

I was wondering what the work around is for the update Win XP icon that
pops up and says I have updates but when I click on that Start Download"
the option just disspears. I have the dial up configured but it don't
want to d/l. Any help would be welcomed. I check the ones I want to d/l
and check them but I can't go no farther.

Thanks

The best work-around is a broadband connection! :)

"devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering what the work around is for the update Win XP icon that
> pops up and says I have updates but when I click on that Start Download"
> the option just disspears. I have the dial up configured but it don't
> want to d/l. Any help would be welcomed. I check the ones I want to d/l
> and check them but I can't go no farther.
>
> Thanks

for those with only dial up connections i suggest that you
start-mycomputer(right click)-properties-automaticupdate(tab)-uncheck 'keep
my computer up to date...'

when you have time to download simply point your browser to
windowsupdate.microsoft.com and follow prompts.

clicking on the 'start download' popup that appear in the tray will start a
background 'trickle' (slow) download of the updates followed by a 'new
updates ready to install' once they are captured to your computer.

"devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering what the work around is for the update Win XP icon that
> pops up and says I have updates but when I click on that Start Download"
> the option just disspears. I have the dial up configured but it don't
> want to d/l. Any help would be welcomed. I check the ones I want to d/l
> and check them but I can't go no farther.
>
> Thanks

devans <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message news:<6MXcc.379$A_4.22@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I was wondering what the work around is for the update Win XP icon that
> pops up and says I have updates but when I click on that Start Download"
> the option just disspears. I have the dial up configured but it don't
> want to d/l. Any help would be welcomed. I check the ones I want to d/l
> and check them but I can't go no farther.
>
> Thanks

This may save some downloading time:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Cheers,

Ned

I already have that ordered and I see it's on the way. It's the
remaining patches I was wondering about. I went to Microsoft's webpage
and d/led the critical patches first but when it d/led it come back
failed install on the 6 or so listed. I don't know why I can't d/l them.

Ned Flanders wrote:
> devans <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message news:<6MXcc.379$A_4.22@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
>
>>I was wondering what the work around is for the update Win XP icon that
>>pops up and says I have updates but when I click on that Start Download"
>> the option just disspears. I have the dial up configured but it don't
>>want to d/l. Any help would be welcomed. I check the ones I want to d/l
>>and check them but I can't go no farther.
>>
>>Thanks
>

> This may save some downloading time:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ned

are you logged on as administrator?

devans <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message news:<4afdc.1792$A_4.780@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> I already have that ordered and I see it's on the way. It's the
> remaining patches I was wondering about. I went to Microsoft's webpage
> and d/led the critical patches first but when it d/led it come back
> failed install on the 6 or so listed. I don't know why I can't d/l them.

If they are downloaded but not installed try installing each one on
it's own by manually visiting Windows/Office Update Site. Restart
between each install.

Good luck,

Ned

or perhaps this might help...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;331663

> are you logged on as administrator?
>
> "devans" <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message
> > I already have that ordered and I see it's on the way. It's the
> > remaining patches I was wondering about. I went to Microsoft's webpage
> > and d/led the critical patches first but when it d/led it come back
> > failed install on the 6 or so listed. I don't know why I can't d/l them.
> >
> > Ned Flanders wrote:
> > > devans <devans@nnemonet.com> wrote in message

Download"

> > > This may save some downloading time: