Having problems installing AMD X4 845 (desperate help needed lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Hey there, and thanks in advance for taking the time to try and help me out!

So here's the rundown: I have next to no knowledge when it comes to computer hardware whatsoever. 2 months ago my computer was having issues so my tech savvy friend came to help me out and after a bunch of troubleshooting we figured out the problem was my power supply was starting to die and so it was replaced. All the problems were resolved and the PC has been working great ever since.

In the meantime, I've been wanting to upgrade my computer for a while to be able to play higher end games and finally have been in a financial position to do so. I brought my computer into a local shop since I have no knowledge of this stuff, so that the new GPU and CPU I wanted were ordered after verifying they'd be compatible with my motherboard.

When my tech savvy friend heard that I did this he said I wasted my money and should have just talked to him and ordered the parts etc, but that I shouldn't have the parts installed by the shop, just have him do it. So when the parts came in, I just brought them home.

He's blown me off for the past 3 weeks so finally this weekend I decided to attempt it myself. Watched a lot of videos on youtube and did some reading on here, and last night installed the new GPU with relative ease.

Since that went well, today I attempted to install the new CPU and have run into problems. I installed it according to the instructions and videos that I watched, but when I turn the computer on the fan turns on, but the monitor doesnt get a signal and I'm pretty sure the computer isn't loading even though the light comes on and the fans are spinning.

Read some more posts on this forum, so I decided to try some things out and verified the 8pin and 24 pin plugins were connected properly, I removed and reinstalled the new GPU incase it had become dislodged, I removed and rotated my ram sticks, and finally removed the CPU fan,and took out the actual CPU before putting it back in and reinstalling the fan.

All of this hasn't done anything. At this point I did more reading and was scared that I somehow conducted static electricity and fried something. I uninstalled the new CPU and replaced it with my old one. Booted up the computer and it worked fine the first time, and I'm using it to write this at the moment.

I'm wondering if I need to update the bios before trying to install it again? But like I said, I have no idea so hence my long post! Hoping somebody can guide me in the right direction, and please bare in mind I'm not tech savvy in the slightest.

asrock fm2a75 pro4-m motherboard

EPower Power Supply Ep-600PM 600W
ATX12V 2.3 Single 120mm Cooling Fan

AMD Atholon x4 750k quad core processor,
4100 Mhz
Bios: American Megatrends Inc. P2.10
14/03/2013
SmBios: 2.7

New GPU I just installed and got drivers etc for: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti

New CPU attempting to install:
AMD X4 845
3.8 Ghz Max Turbo, 3.5 GHz base
2.0 MB Cache

Thanks again, and sorry for the long winded novel of a post! :)

Solution

WorldGuinessComments

Commendable
Feb 24, 2017

Yes it can be the BIOS.Update it and give it a try.This happened to a friend of mine,he just updated the BIOS and bam it worked!

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Okay, I'll give that a shot. Also, I was just looking at the new CPU and noticed that 2 of the gold pins on the bottom seem to be bent. I'm not sure if it was this way originally or if I somehow did this during the installation. Would that be causing the issue as well? I took a picture with my phone and emailed it to myself, but I'm not sure how to post it on here. If that could be the problem, what would I use to bend them back?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Bent pins are going to ruin your day, but as I said, do not bother. That motherboard DOES NOT support that cpu.

Bend the pins back gently using a mechanical pencil, and return it.

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017

I never read that it was, the guy at the computer shop was the one who looked at the motherboard and decided which GPU and CPU to order. I guess I'll have to bring it back tomorrow. Before I do, that page you linked says that a discrete VGA card is required? What's involved with that?

As far as the gaming goes I'm not looking to play high end stuff, I mostly play d3 and sc2, just wanted to be able to play mafia 3 and the witcher 3... so I didn't want to invest a lot of cash. Cost my $400 for the GPU and CPU and that was as much as I was hoping to drop. So you're saying I have to add a new motherboard to accomplish this?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok let me tell you something. That guy ripped you off. There is no way in heck what you bought should have cost you $400. He also doesn't know what he is talking about as clearly you can see this CPU is not on the list for that board.

So With that board most processors are APUs that have onboard graphics. You had a CPU though as is the new one you got, neither has integrated graphics. Since you bought a GTX 1050ti you have graphics covered, so you would have been fine, if that CPU worked.

FOr $319 buy this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.48 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M GAMING PRO Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $318.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 16:44 EDT-0400

It would DEMOLISH what you were trying to do.

Or for $35 over your budget this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.59 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M GAMING PRO Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-07 16:45 EDT-0400

Would be even better

Solution

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Okay well I managed to fix all the pins... didn't have mechanical pencil but used a razor blade and I have them all back in perfect alignment. I probably should have specified that it was 400 CDN dollars. Actually was $385 CDN with taxes, but yeah my tech savvy friend already told me I should have ordered the stuff online.

Tried a new computer shop this time as I had moved across town, but I think I'll just go get my money back for the CPU, then order a new motherboard and CPU online, and have it installed at the old computer shop I had always gone to prior to this since I think uninstalling and reinstalling a motherboard is way above my head. Thank you for taking the time to help and being patient with my lack of understanding when it comes to this stuff... I definitely appreciate not being made feel like a complete idiot! Since I already have the new GPU I obviously don't need to order a different one??

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right, I just threw it in there to fill out your budget amount so you knew the total cost of the upgrade.

Sounds like a good move.

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Also, I have 10gigs of ram, but its DDR3... would it be necessary to order the new memory? Like would the difference the 8 gigs of ddr4 vs. 10 of ddr3 be that significant? (Not doubting, just like I said I have no clue when it comes to this stuff)

Thanks again!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You need DDR4 for any new Intel or AMD setup. DDR3 won't work.

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Okay no problem... one last quick question, are all motherboards interchangeable or would I have to buy a new case as well? I'm just about the put the order in for those parts you listed, just want to do everything in one fell swoop.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The board you have is MicroATX and the one I suggested is also MicroATX so it will fit right into the same spot as the old one. Your old Case will be fine.

Proyalty0702

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Thanks again for all the help Rogue Leader... I ended up splurging and going with the advanced spec you recommended. Returned the CPU to the computer shop and traded it in for some more DDR4 ram... so I'll have the better setup but with 16g of DDR4 and I picked up a 2TB harddrive while I was at it so I can clear my current one and just have my OS on it and use the new one for everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS