Question Having problems with my 1080Ti

TheMemeMachine

Reputable
May 27, 2017
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a used Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC edition. It was never used for mining, fans and LEDs work fine, the backplate screw sticker was still on so it was never opened and was in good condition overall, it was about a year old.
I put it in my rig, installed the latest nVidia driver, which was 419.67 at the time of installation. No problems at first, but when I started playing any game, the moment the GPU reached 100% utilization, the game would crash. I read somewhere that this was some sort of driver problem, so I installed some older driver (don't remember which one, sorry) and the same thing happened again. No matter what game or benchmark i ran, it would always happen, the game would run for a while, and crash it it reached 100% utilization. This is most certainly not an overheating problem, since when the crashes did happen, the temps were usually around 60-65c which is well within the spec (if I am correct the maximum temp for this model is about 85c).
The only thing that would solve this was if I lower the memory and core clock by 100MhZ in MSI afterburner. When I do that the games run just fine, no crashes etc. Now, I would like to know if my graphics card is defective or not, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Is there maybe an older driver which is stable enough so I don't get crashes?

Also, I ran the heaven benchmark 4.0 completly maxed with this downclock at 1080p (since my monitor is 1080p, im planning on upgrading) with this and my results were: FPS: 135.5 Score: 3414 Min FPS: 36.8 MAX FPS: 274.3. This seems kind of low for a 1080Ti, even with the 100mhz downclock, or am I mistaken here? Max temperature with the benchmark was around 76c which also seems kind of hot, because I heard reviewers say that it wont even go near 70c in benchmarks, or am I mistaken here also?

Thanks in advance for the replies, I hope someone will have some answers for me.

Rest of my rig:
i5-8600K stock speed, cooled by the beQiet shadow rock slim
trident z rgb 16GB at 3200MHz (xmp profile)
gigabyte Z390-UD mobo
kingston 480gb SSD
WD black 2TB HDD
CM MWE 650w PSU

TheMemeMachine

Reputable
May 27, 2017
If it does not run at advertised speed it is faulty and should still have warranty.
It was purchased in another state originaly so I cant return it. The thing is, with the 100mhz downclock, in the top right corner of heaven benchmark, it says that the core clock is 1999mhz and memory clock is at 5405mhz, which seems normal to me. I am still not convinced it is a hardware problem. Also, the benchmark said the core was at 1999mhz before AND after the downclock, and I do not know how to interpret that

EDIT: so I checked core clock in MSI afterburner while running heaven and MSI displays it as 1886mhz even though heaven says 1999mhz. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited: