Question Having problems with my evga 3090 ftw 3 ultra

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Ok so I've been without a computer for about a month now. The problem started when I bought a 3090 about a month ago brand new. The card worked fine but the fans sounded like an airplane going off and the card was getting over 90c when gaming. So I decided to buy a hybrid kit from evga. I got that, installed it and the fans wouldn't work nor would the pump turn on or anything. Evga had me rma it, and apparently there was a problem with it and they sent me a new one. The new one came about 2 weeks later, I installed it and the same problem was happening no fans spinning no pump working nothing. So I called evga again and they had me hook the fans directly into my motherboard instead of into the video card. One of the fans worked the other did not. It seemed like the kit was working then I opened a program and the card Temps went through the roof.

So... I have a few questions. One what are the odds that evga sent me two faulty hybrid kits in a row, two, what might be going wrong with it since when I hook the fans directly into my motherboard one of them works and the kit semi works? Three I had to hook the kit up to the front of my case instead of the top because I'm using a water CPU cooler and the radiator for if is up top so is that a problem? Four what parts of my motherboard should I be hooking up the kit to? Maybe I installed it incorrectly. My motherboard is an ASUS Maximus XII hero.

Lutfij

Titan
1| It can happen. EVGA tend to have hit or miss products in their own cream of the crop lineups. This is true for all brands, when you consider that you probably had two bad units sent over without them knowing.

2| Make and model of your motherboard and how you paired the hybrid cooler to said motherboard?

3| Might want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of your PSU.

4| Asked in 3| but the instructions are included in the manual for the cooler. On that note, got a link to the aftermarket cooler for the GPU? Also include a link to the GPU for added measure.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Sorry I forgot.

CPU - I9 10850k
Motherboard - Asus Maximus XII Hero
RAM - G.Skill TridentZ RGB 64 GB kit
SSD- Samsung 970 EVO plus 500GB
HDD- No idea its a 4TB SATA drive from Western Digital
PSU - Corsair AX850
Case - Thermaltake View 71 RGB
OS - W10 pro

I bought my PSU just before covid hit so... around Feburary 2020?

I bought their hybrid kit here: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-1988-B1

Video card is here: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=24G-P5-3987-KR

The instructions were very vague. It mentions how to install it but not where in the motherboard to hook it up. Like you're supposed to hook up the fans into the video card itself but they never spinned or worked. I hooked up the fans to cha fan II and I didn't have any other fan slots free. Besides the pump connectors but I thought those were for custom loops.

Forgot to mention also that the fans on the gpu aren't spinning either.

Last edited: