Having problems with PC, I think it is CPU related?

JesterDS

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
I built my PC back in 2014 and it has met my standards until recently. I understand my PC will become outdated and I will need to update my specs, but I am running into problems where my PC can no longer run games it ran a year ago. I am currently getting frame rate drops in games like CSGO and League of Legends, both of which were games I never had problems with.

I recently ran a UserBenchmark to try and figure out my problem.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11757728
UserBenchmarks: Game 32%, Desk 41%, Work 25%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 - 40.1%
GPU: AMD R9 280 - 41.6%
HDD: WD Blue 640GB (2008) - 46.7%
RAM: Unknown F3-17600CL7-2GBPIS 0420 F3-17600CL7-2GBPIS 0420 F3-1600C9-8GXM 0420 F3-1600C9-8GXM 20GB - 37.1%
MBD: MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821)

This is the result of the benchmark.
I am not sure how to interpret this, and I am unaware of where to start to look for my problem.

I was wondering if temperature was an issue and recently downloaded Core Temp. As I am typing this message I noticed temps remained at 60-65°C. As I was googling to try and figure out what my issue was I noticed the temperature jumped to 90°C on most of the cores. Is overheating my issue? Is there a different noticeable issue from the provided details? I apologize for my lack of knowledge as computer specs are not something I am familiar with.

I ran UserBenchmark again after typing and results differed:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11758103
UserBenchmarks: Game 41%, Desk 53%, Work 34%
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 - 66.2%
GPU: AMD R9 280 - 41.6%
HDD: WD Blue 640GB (2008) - 54.7%
RAM: Unknown F3-17600CL7-2GBPIS 0420 F3-17600CL7-2GBPIS 0420 F3-1600C9-8GXM 0420 F3-1600C9-8GXM 20GB - 38%
MBD: MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821)

Solution
I consider Userbenchmark to be a more peer comparison site rather than a proper benchmark, so its results can be misleading if not seen in proper context.

That said that sounds like a rather high temperature if you're just typing the post. In accordance to the Intel temperature sticky ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html ) it seems you should check your cooling solution. At the very least, a good dust out of the interior of the case and fans may help air flow and lower those temperatures. If not, then it may be worth considering some new thermal paste to reseat the CPU cooler.

Further, consider using MSI Afterburner (or similar) to monitor hardware performance during games. I would suggest CPU...
I consider Userbenchmark to be a more peer comparison site rather than a proper benchmark, so its results can be misleading if not seen in proper context.

That said that sounds like a rather high temperature if you're just typing the post. In accordance to the Intel temperature sticky ( http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html ) it seems you should check your cooling solution. At the very least, a good dust out of the interior of the case and fans may help air flow and lower those temperatures. If not, then it may be worth considering some new thermal paste to reseat the CPU cooler.

Further, consider using MSI Afterburner (or similar) to monitor hardware performance during games. I would suggest CPU, GPU and RAM frequencies and usages; CPU and GPU temperatures; fps and frame times; and if necessary page file. See what occurs when those drops in fps occur. This could provide a clue.

Also possible are background processes, virus or malware. Would double check on those as well to be on the safe side.

I'm sure other solutions are forthcoming.

Solution

CrazyDingo

Reputable
May 1, 2015
If you're using the stock cooler, make sure that it is correctly seated. Look up a utube video about pusing down diagonally on the attachment points.
An easy upgtade - install an ssd as the os drive, use your hdd for data.
You're actually in not a bad position - you should be able to get a good price on e.g. a gtx 1080 to speed things up, or you could go all out and get something newer (the GPU would be a good starting point for your next build).
I don't think the CPU is holding you back.