[SOLVED] Having real slow connection at night time.. any solutions?

wishb0n3

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2015
Have recently upgraded my Xfinity service to 600 mpbs download and 20 mpbs upload. I also purchased An Arris Surfboard SB8200 Cable Modem and an TP-Link AX11000 Router. Everything had been smooth after a few hiccups early on ( Have had this for about a week ). Running speed tests online usually get 500-600 download and around 20 upload. But last night and tonight it was EXTREMELY slow, like under 50 mpbs and 3 mpbs upload. I am in a small home with my PC directly plugged into router with just a few TV's and cell phones on the network. I have unplugged everything a few times and done all that to no prevail. Just ran a test on Ookla now and am only getting 102 mpbs download and 24 mpbs upload. Any idea for me to find the culprit here? My hardware is more than capable, any suggestions would be grateful! Anything i can run to post here to help would be helpful too. Thanks!

Solution
Time of day issue are almost always other people causing the problem for you. You could verify that you do not have large backups or something running on your machine but I suspect you would have noticed. Check the resource manager network tab to be sure.

You have already eliminated other people in your house by unplugging stuff. This leaves people outside your house and its not likely they are hacking into your wifi. This problem is not as common as before. The ISP bandwidth to your house is shared with many other people. They pretend everyone can have gigabit but they know
very well that they only really have enough bandwidth for maybe 2 or 3 people to run at full speed at the same time. They know that your average...
Time of day issue are almost always other people causing the problem for you. You could verify that you do not have large backups or something running on your machine but I suspect you would have noticed. Check the resource manager network tab to be sure.

You have already eliminated other people in your house by unplugging stuff. This leaves people outside your house and its not likely they are hacking into your wifi. This problem is not as common as before. The ISP bandwidth to your house is shared with many other people. They pretend everyone can have gigabit but they know
very well that they only really have enough bandwidth for maybe 2 or 3 people to run at full speed at the same time. They know that your average consumer maybe uses 20-30mbps watching netflix and far less most the time. The problem comes if you have a couple teenage neighbors who like to run bit torrent to steal games and movies.
It does not take many of these guys to kill a network segment.

I would first leave constant ping run to 8.8.8.8. Maybe you are getting data loss and it is being made worse by increased traffic. That the ISP can pretty easily fix. Your cable modem might also show errors in the logs during these times. That too the ISP can fix.

A pure overloaded segment is tough the ISP does not want to really admit they tell lies and they really have no technical solution especially if it is not other customers doing something they can prove is illegal.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS