[SOLVED] Having serious hardware/driver issues

Dec 22, 2020
Need some help on my current build I have going on and having some strange issues as of late.
specs:
I7 9700k
Gigabyte vision 3070
Corsair RM 750x
GeIL super Luce rgb 2 x 8g sticks
Gigabyte Aorus z390 Pro
Windows 10

ok so I’ve had the new GPU installed for a couple months now with no issues. All the sudden about a week ago playing COD Cold War I began having some serious lag or what it seems. While monitoring what’s happening while playing I get a sudden drop in all components. Gpu usage drops to 0, CPU usage drops, power % drops to about 20, latency rises, gpu time skyrockets, and I can’t do anything until I force close the game but this is difficult because everything is running so slow on my pc. Trubleshooting this myself I reverted to my old PSU thinking this was the issue with no luck, I’ve benchmarked and stressed tested hardware trying to replicate the stress of a game with no luck everything runs buttery smooth. I’ve also done a complete fresh install of nvidia drivers as well with no luck.
Ps. My most recent upgrades after installing the 3070 was my PSU and a cpu cooling but as I’ve said I reverted back to my old power supply and issue still seems to happen. This is also a sort of random occurrence happens more often then not while playing but 1 out of 10 boots I can get the game to run with no issues at all. Please help with anything you can think of thanks

Solution
Ok so I may have had a solution, I reverted back 2 nvidia gpu drivers and seemed to be ok for the couple games I tried, only thing that was weird was my CPU usage was 100% and computer was a little sluggish and it wasn’t in the past.. I rebooted and seemed a little smoother

If you happend to be playing at somthing like 1080p medium settings, then Im not surprised the 9700K is having to work harder to keep up with the RTX 3070. If thats not the case then there could be some other software issue like the one found with the drivers.
Dec 22, 2020
Idle my PC runs fine. Once I load a game I can sometimes play for 1 minute before it starts happening or sometimes it happens right of the bat once loading into a match

Dec 22, 2020
Temps while gaming are cpu between 50-60 gpu around the same, I haven’t tried a campaign mode but I did try a custom multiplayer match with just myself and had the same result

Dec 22, 2020
One time I also did notice it happened was my game was running fine, the second I opened chrome it lagged my entire computer out until I was able to close my game finally, also sometimes I’ll just try to open chrome and type a site in and it just shows the spinning wheel in top left corner when I hover over it it says “YouTube crashed” but never opens the site

16 months... its not a lot, but I guess it also depends on what did you do with your system ont hose 16 months. I know people that install and delete apps and games on a regular basis.

Not 100% sure this could be the issue, and so no idea if this may fix your problems but.... Have you considered making a backup of the important info/data and a fresh/clean install of Windows 10 + Drivers

Dec 22, 2020
Ok so I may have had a solution, I reverted back 2 nvidia gpu drivers and seemed to be ok for the couple games I tried, only thing that was weird was my CPU usage was 100% and computer was a little sluggish and it wasn’t in the past.. I rebooted and seemed a little smoother

If you happend to be playing at somthing like 1080p medium settings, then Im not surprised the 9700K is having to work harder to keep up with the RTX 3070. If thats not the case then there could be some other software issue like the one found with the drivers.

Solution
Dec 22, 2020
True I think it’s a driver/software issue, before this happened it had no issues so I’m assuming a driver issue, also when I’m gaming the cpu and gpu time are the same right around 4-8 but stay the same so I don’t think one is bottlenecking but it’s possible I guess. I appreciate the help I’ll report back if anything negative happens

True I think it’s a driver/software issue, before this happened it had no issues so I’m assuming a driver issue, also when I’m gaming the cpu and gpu time are the same right around 4-8 but stay the same so I don’t think one is bottlenecking but it’s possible I guess. I appreciate the help I’ll report back if anything negative happens

What I meant to say is that just because CPU stay close to 100% usage, does not mean its bottlenecking, or limiting the GPU performance. It only means that its working hard to keep up :) .
But it does indicate that in your particular system, on that particular game/resolution/detail settings, its close to become the limiting factor.