[SOLVED] Having serious problems with my WiFi

Jan 24, 2021
Hello! I am having a serious problem with my WiFi connection. This problem is only getting worse it seems like and I ran out of ideas. Here is my version of windows with the build.

Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1316).

Here are the following troubleshooting steps I have followed already:

1. I opened the command prompt to ping the loop back address to make sure my TCP/IP stack was fine. It was a successful ping.

2. I pinged my own IP address (My PC) and it was successful so I am pretty sure my NIC is fine.

3. I scanned my system using Malwarebytes to ensure I wasn't infected and I was clean.

4. I tried to download wireshark to see if I could see what was going on when it was acting funny and my PC crashes every single time I tried to install wireshark.

Earlier when I was completely off the internet I could not ping my router. Every time I sent a ping to the router I would just get nothing back. Everyone else in the house has no issues with the network so as I far as I know I am the only one. Do you guys have any ideas at troubleshooting this? I would hard wire my computer but I am not allowed to go in the attic to install an ethernet cable that goes to the router.

Solution
Jan 24, 2021
Are you able to login and have access the router's web interface?

I am inside of the routers web interface. I found out I can disconnect and reconnect if I lose my internet connection completely. I looked in netstat -ano when it was down and noticed a couple of weird facts:

7 applications that should have a connection do have a connection. Their state was set to established. I am not sure if that is a clue or if its normal for them to have a connection established when I can't access it myself.

Jan 24, 2021
It is a motherboard and this is the same model.

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-inspiron-3650-motherboard-c2xkd_i_mbisddell0c2xkd.aspx

I am also going to investigate the Netgear that I am connected to. That is what I use to reach the router since its closer then the actual router. Its a shame that running an actual ethernet cable to my room is not an option. I can figure out the model of the Netgear but I find it strange no one else is mentioning a connection problem if that is the issue.

kanewolf

Titan
It is a motherboard and this is the same model.

http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-inspiron-3650-motherboard-c2xkd_i_mbisddell0c2xkd.aspx

I am also going to investigate the Netgear that I am connected to. That is what I use to reach the router since its closer then the actual router. Its a shame that running an actual ethernet cable to my room is not an option. I can figure out the model of the Netgear but I find it strange no one else is mentioning a connection problem if that is the issue.
If you have an extender in the middle then it is very difficult to troubleshoot. Have you investigated using powerline network adapters instead of WIFI ?

kanewolf

Titan
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Jan 24, 2021
I haven't had connections issues ever since my old keyboard died. I find it weird that my network issues just stopped around the same time my keyboard died. I don't want to say that an after market keyboard caused my issues but I do find it interesting they stopped around the same time.

If I continue to have network problems I will try the electrical adapter. Thanks guys for all your help!

kanewolf

Titan
I haven't had connections issues ever since my old keyboard died. I find it weird that my network issues just stopped around the same time my keyboard died. I don't want to say that an after market keyboard caused my issues but I do find it interesting they stopped around the same time.

If I continue to have network problems I will try the electrical adapter. Thanks guys for all your help!
Was it a wireless keyboard? Some wireless keyboards used the same frequency range as WIFI. So interference is possible.

Reactions: Networking Protocol