Having some boot up issues in Windows 10.

nixon_xz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Hello everyone this is my first time posting here, thought I would try here before Reddit. My power just went out and came back on after about 45 - 60 seconds. Once my computer turned back on it didn't show the screen where it shows the brand of the motherboard and the boot to BIOS option. It turned on with a black screen for about 5 seconds and went straight to my desktop. I can open applications, but it's acting as though they are minimized, and when I hover over them to see a preview of the window and click on it nothing happens. Also my system try and notification center are gone, it's just the time and date in the bottom right nothing else. When I try to hit ctrl alt delete it just goes to a black screen and then stays that way indefinitely. I've tried going into the start menu and restarting the pc and when it shuts off it doesn't say that it's waiting on programs to close, or that it's restarting like it normally should. It just shuts down and goes directly back to the desktop. I've also tried to turn it off, and unplugging the power cord, and back on but that doesn't work either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
copy any files you can't afford to lose, I would try a reset and choose wipe it all. It will reinstall win 10 brand new and should fix this weirdness

Since desktop is messed up, I would download the media creation tool on another PC and use it as a boot disc.
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose Reset this PC
two choices, save files and settings or wipe it all - normally I suggest save files but your user is messed up so wipe it all is best choice
PC will restart and reinstall win 10. This only touches the drive windows is on so if you have more than 1 hdd the second one isn't touched.

nixon_xz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
I have limited access it just boots directly to my desktop and non of my desktop shortcuts are there and I can open applications, but the window will act like it's minimized and I can't unminimize it

Colif

Win 11 Master
I suspect login services are corrupted, its skipping the login and might be putting you in a guest account. That or windows is just really messed up.

see if you can get into advanced start up
since desktop acting weird, open the start menu, click on the power button
hold down the shift key and click restart

If this works, PC should start you in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if you can't get into advanced start up, there is another way (actually 6 but one is more predictable)
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in PC so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if start up repair doesn't help, try safe mode
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

see if it acts odd in here as well.

nixon_xz

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Sorry not replying sooner I've been busy with work prepping for black Friday. Here are some videos that can better help you understand what I'm dealing with.
Applications open, but stay minimized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e44VC3-cYJo

Actual boot up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kzuntK7K6c

Someone on Reddit suggested that my user profile is corrupted, but I don't know how to go about fixing this since every application I open stays minimized and I can't boot to BIOS. I also tried the holding shift and restarting but when it restarted it just sat at a black screen, and I left it there to just let it do its thing but it started at a black screen over night.

Colif

Win 11 Master
copy any files you can't afford to lose, I would try a reset and choose wipe it all. It will reinstall win 10 brand new and should fix this weirdness

Since desktop is messed up, I would download the media creation tool on another PC and use it as a boot disc.
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose Reset this PC
two choices, save files and settings or wipe it all - normally I suggest save files but your user is messed up so wipe it all is best choice
PC will restart and reinstall win 10. This only touches the drive windows is on so if you have more than 1 hdd the second one isn't touched.

Solution