Question Having some heating problems on my RTX 2080TI

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Having some serious heating problems and with the temp in my region going up... i do want my GPU temp to go down.

Idle temp is 49c (17% gpu because of shadowplay)
If i play let's say Yakuza Zero with a unlimited frame rate max will be around 60-70 while the 99%tile is about 45. GPU will run constant 85-87C at boosted Fan RPM 4000. SO yea that seems very damaging to my gpu, so until i can solve this problem i am running 45 fps and it occasionally wil go to 4000 RPM but will stay around 85c . it's only about a year old barely any dust. Running aggresive MSI Afterburner fan curve slows down the heat build up by maybe 10 seconds before it reaches 87c .

/user/Dustreaper/saved/#view=sZVVWZ (partpicker link) with agressor c70 as the case.

Thanks for reading this hoping for comments that will help me fix the issue.

If that works, another thing you could do is this. Even though I don't need to do this for my RX 6600xt, it will still be cool so why not haha.

Perhaps pick up a bracket like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2245194177...pid=5338746425&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

A couple of 120mm fans of your choice, then mount them to the bracket and install it in a slot of your case just below your card to make it keep force feeding cool air to the gpu. That may help it a bit as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Idle temp is 49c"
That's actually normal for an air cooled gpu.

Higher fps = higher power consumption.

That partpicker link is incomplete, but it did allow me to find your reddit thread from 4 days ago. This Aggressor C70 is actually a Corsair Vengeance C70 instead.
The Aggressor name appears to be part of some old promo package.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
"Idle temp is 49c"

That partpicker link is incomplete, but it did allow me to find your reddit thread from 4 days ago. This Aggressor C70 is actually a Corsair Vengeance C70 instead.

Yea the link is incomplete because i kept getting a pop up about spam maybe because my account is brand new.This is how i got around it just adding that link to partpick . com and you got the stuff.
Ah nice yea but running 87c 100% of the time with fans boosting to 4000rpm while playing yakuza zero is a bit much...

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
How many fans do you have in your case? Try taking the side panel off and see if the card will cool down.

Got 3 case fans 2 front low and 1 high back and cpu has 2 fans. Taking the side panel off has 0 influence. and well the heat spikes to 87C from 49C in literal seconds if i alt tab back into the game (even the main menu but that takes a bit longer)

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
If that works, another thing you could do is this. Even though I don't need to do this for my RX 6600xt, it will still be cool so why not haha.

Perhaps pick up a bracket like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2245194177...pid=5338746425&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

A couple of 120mm fans of your choice, then mount them to the bracket and install it in a slot of your case just below your card to make it keep force feeding cool air to the gpu. That may help it a bit as well.

Hmm the GPU already has 3 fans on the down side. so will that really help?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have your current fans oriented backwards, do you? It does happen sometimes.
iu

Are you using an anti-sag support on the gpu?

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Some extra info i had to do it this way so i can bring some info that ISN"T spam.

db6af59b21d464e86b13a5665bf5afd9.png

Add the i.gyazo website infront of it. Hate to bypass the spam filter but i think this in valuable info?

107.2C hotspot temp so i think a part of the coolpaste is failing?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hotspot is not reliable. It's the temperature from the hottest sensor, but it's not specified WHICH.
To complicate it further, components on the gpu do not share the same thermal tolerances; some parts have higher tolerances than the gpu core.

It sounds to me like there isn't enough air movement.
I considered gpu sag, but I feel like the idle temperature would've been higher if that were the case.

Remove the side panel, get a box or pedestal fan, and aim it inside the chassis.
What happens to thermals then?

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Hotspot is not reliable. It's the temperature from the hottest sensor, but it's not specified WHICH.
To complicate it further, components on the gpu do not share the same thermal tolerances; some parts have higher tolerances than the gpu core.

It sounds to me like there isn't enough air movement.
I considered gpu sag, but I feel like the idle temperature would've been higher if that were the case.

Remove the side panel, get a box or pedestal fan, and aim it inside the chassis.
What happens to thermals then?

Hmm i don't have any fans only with a cooling element in it..and what is this about a box? I could get a piece that i can flap is that is the correct eng word and through that get some air flow?

^^^^^^
I would do this.
"Remove the side panel, get a box or pedestal fan, and aim it inside the chassis.
What happens to thermals then? "

....and just some info.....I am running an RTX 2080 Ti and it peaks at 82C @ 100% every time.

Ill have to check when i get home but even benching i dont think my 2080 ti has seen anything in the 80's*c and that was with a 2130Mhz core clock and +1700 on the memory. I turned off teamviewer last night so i can get to it right now.

I do know i have a Phanteks P600s case with 3 Corsair SP120 fans in the front, 2 SP120 on top, and 1 SP120 in the rear, so 3 intake 3 exhaust. CPU has a Cryorig R1 ultimate with the fans blowing directly into the rear case exhaust

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm i don't have any fans only with a cooling element in it..and what is this about a box? I could get a piece that i can flap is that is the correct eng word and through that get some air flow?
You know, a box fan?
iu

It's not enough to just remove the side panel. There needs to be some external force pushing air in there.
You've got a mesh chassis - everyone can see that, so airflow shouldn't be an issue. But if air isn't moving fast enough, just an open side panel won't show that.

Ok so just ran a time spy benchmark with stock settings on the card

core peak 1950Mhz
mem 7000Mhz
max temp 64*c
max fan speed 2000RPM

431mBdM.jpg

If anything you can pull the card apart and repast the cpu to try for better temps.

Last edited:

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
You know, a box fan?
iu

It's not enough to just remove the side panel. There needs to be some external force pushing air in there.
You've got a mesh chassis - everyone can see that, so airflow shouldn't be an issue. But if air isn't moving fast enough, just an open side panel won't show that.

Hmm ahh box fans have heard about those..

Well i only have a Tristar tower fan a VE-5955

Also seems to be a bit more dust then i thought but like nothing in the fans.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZlGiz7W

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
"Idle temp is 49c"

Yes most modern GPUs kick fans after it reaches 60 degrees

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
Well specific variant of 2080ti is more to do with heating than dust. Dust would hardly increase temperature. If it does that would be negligible. If you are using a cheap variant of 2080 to it can hit t junction easily like those OEM cards. I'd suggest you to undervolt while keeping the same clock. Trial and error and you'd find your stable undervolt

Hmm ahh box fans have heard about those..

Well i only have a Tristar tower fan a VE-5955

Also seems to be a bit more dust then i thought but like nothing in the fans.
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZlGiz7W

You see that area to the right of your PSU with mesh at the bottom of your tower? You should stick a case fan right there, pointing upward and blowing cool outside air directly towards your GPU's intake fans. That will surely improve your GPU temperatures somewhat.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Is there also a way to cap gpu boost or stop it from boosting? preferably in certain games, because i don't need that extra fps boost or the 95%tile 99%tile stuff to be more stable.