Question Having some heating problems on my RTX 2080TI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Having some serious heating problems and with the temp in my region going up... i do want my GPU temp to go down.

Idle temp is 49c (17% gpu because of shadowplay)
If i play let's say Yakuza Zero with a unlimited frame rate max will be around 60-70 while the 99%tile is about 45. GPU will run constant 85-87C at boosted Fan RPM 4000. SO yea that seems very damaging to my gpu, so until i can solve this problem i am running 45 fps and it occasionally wil go to 4000 RPM but will stay around 85c . it's only about a year old barely any dust. Running aggresive MSI Afterburner fan curve slows down the heat build up by maybe 10 seconds before it reaches 87c .

/user/Dustreaper/saved/#view=sZVVWZ (partpicker link) with agressor c70 as the case.

Thanks for reading this hoping for comments that will help me fix the issue.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
If that doesn't work, then I suppose the paste has dried up unusually quick or something...:unsure:

So i did some more testing. normal temps are between 85-87C (ingame) take the side panel of and it goes to 82-85C and with the fan like this it stay at 82-83C. But when i alt tab back now it's 81-82C and doesn't break 83C when i let it rest for a min. It also managed to keep a 1800mhz boost. But taking the fan away now it keeps the same temps and clock. Putting the side panel on makes it jump to 87C (did take a while) at times and fan boost.. clock jumped between 1600 and 1700mhz.

Also this is at 50-60% gpu load. View: https://imgur.com/a/cBltv1A

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I can't speak for the others, but it still sounds to me like you don't have enough air moving - at least once the gpu gets to rolling, since it's by far the highest power consuming device in the PC.
The side panel at least has a grille in it, so the gpu has access to SOME air from that way; with today's trendy tempered glass side panels, that's a plus in my eyes.

Some games have funky reactions with alt-tab.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203753/nvidia-rtx2080ti-11264-180829
2080Ti has a default thermal limit of 84C. That's why the 1600 - 1700mhz. And no, the gpu's not going to shut the PC off on you unless it sits at such temperatures for an extended period of time.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I can't speak for the others, but it still sounds to me like you don't have enough air moving - at least once the gpu gets to rolling, since it's by far the highest power consuming device in the PC.
The side panel at least has a grille in it, so the gpu has access to SOME air from that way; with today's trendy tempered glass side panels, that's a plus in my eyes.

Some games have funky reactions with alt-tab.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/203753/nvidia-rtx2080ti-11264-180829
2080Ti has a default thermal limit of 84C. That's why the 1600 - 1700mhz. And no, the gpu's not going to shut the PC off on you unless it sits at such temperatures for an extended period of time.

Yea the problem is if i unlock the fps and let it run and what it can handle it will run at 87-88C (75 fps) 100% of the time.. and right now at 45 fps lock it runs 85-86C the entire time basically. that does seem damaging does it not? i wish i could just stop it from booster problem solved.. guess i gotta take it apart or under volt it to make it even last..

At this point i would say its a card issue not a case issue. By taking the side off you only dropped temps by 2c then with a fan blowing at it only dropped it another 2c. It might be hard but get down on the floor and look at your card and see if the heatsink is sagging away from the card at all. Next thing would be to take it apart and re past it to see if it brings the temps down.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Go ahead and repaste it just so we can rule it out.
Careful with your picks though, as some pastes that work well on cpus do not work as well on gpus.
I personally use NT-H2 on my gpu, there's also Kingpin KPx, Prolimatech PK3(might be hard to find), and Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
At this point i would say its a card issue not a case issue. By taking the side off you only dropped temps by 2c then with a fan blowing at it only dropped it another 2c. It might be hard but get down on the floor and look at your card and see if the heatsink is sagging away from the card at all. Next thing would be to take it apart and re past it to see if it brings the temps down.

Yea don't see any sag or heatsink sag at all.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Go ahead and repaste it just so we can rule it out.
Careful with your picks though, as some pastes that work well on cpus do not work as well on gpus.
I personally use NT-H2 on my gpu, there's also Kingpin KPx, Prolimatech PK3(might be hard to find), and Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano.

I still have some artic mx-4 that i used on my cpu.

Mx4 should be ok. Also you could look above at the bracket I showed you. If you use 2-3 large case fans in a bracket like that, that may help force more air into your card.

Also, if your case has any openings for fans on the top, a couple up there pulling air out the top should help.

My rx 6600xt runs pretty cool to begin with, but I have 3 fans in the front of the case as intake, 2 on top and one in the rear as exhaust, then a bracket with 2 other fans directly below the gpu pushing air into it. I think my gpu idle temps are 28-29C.

I also have a vetroo v5 cooler and 2 fans on that in a push pull setup, so quite a bit of air moving.

Dustreaper

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
So i repasted it and now after some 3dmark tests it did't get hotter then 78C while before it was 87C within seconds of starting..idle temp is about a few C lower. This really worked out well. Very nervous to do that for the first time but i did't break it.