Having some issues after moving ram around !

CBearly

Reputable
Sep 12, 2016
Note : I am very bad with hardware and have never touched it.

So my PC was getting a ton of BSODs and ram errors. I had my buddy come over and he was fixing it and realized whoever built my pc put the ram in the wrong slots. after they have been moved now it says out of my 12GB of ram i have 8 Usable which is crazy. Windows and my BIOS say that I have 12GB so it can see all of it, but when I go and look under my computer specs or any other program it says I have 8GB (in window's case it's 12GB (7.96 usable). I'm kind of stumped here and I'm very very bad with hardware. After moving the ram sticks before I also get a screen when the PC boots saying detected ATA/ATAPI Devices, then below that it says that it failed to start several times before you may press f1 or delete to enter your setup (bios) or the UEFI will continue to boot after (timer).

bb65f58b0401444ea5b459a8b3264fe5.png

Specs :
12 Gigs of ram
GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0
AMD FX 8350
Inland Silver Series 600w
Asrock Extreme 3 970 R2.0
Windows 7 - 64bit

Solution
Neat.

Sounds like you're having memory issues though.

I'd suggest running a bootable disk of Memtest86. www.memtest86.com

It'll check your Ram for errors, one of the sticks is probably faulty.

CBearly

Reputable
Sep 12, 2016

Windows 7 - 64 bit - Windows Home Premium

I think I figured it out though, i moved all the ram around and reseated them and it seams to work now. now when I install windows updates i get BSOD :/ are there certain updates I shouldn't download that you guys know of ?

Faux_Grey

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Neat.

Sounds like you're having memory issues though.

I'd suggest running a bootable disk of Memtest86. www.memtest86.com

It'll check your Ram for errors, one of the sticks is probably faulty.

Solution