Having to re-establish client on domain frequently

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server. It's setup and configured as properly as I can tell. My clients are Windows XP Pro. All machines are fully updated, and all are experiencing the same problem.

About every other day, or sometimes throughout the day, a client somehow gets booted from the domain. If I try to access a printer on the domain, it says I don't have rights. The same with trying to access the folders on the server, and trying to add a domain user as a admin to the client. It tells me the domain is unavailable. The only resolution that MS gives is to take the client off the domain, and then re-add it. Problem is, this happens very frequently. Could this be a problem with a DHCP router, WINS, or a misconfiguration of the server somewhere?

Any ideas out there?

Possibly DNS.

What DNS server are the XP clients pointed to?

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Jason" <monster@crazyforme.com> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server. It's setup and configured as
properly as I can tell. My clients are Windows XP Pro. All machines are
fully updated, and all are experiencing the same problem.

> About every other day, or sometimes throughout the day, a client somehow
gets booted from the domain. If I try to access a printer on the domain, it
says I don't have rights. The same with trying to access the folders on the
server, and trying to add a domain user as a admin to the client. It tells
me the domain is unavailable. The only resolution that MS gives is to take
the client off the domain, and then re-add it. Problem is, this happens very
frequently. Could this be a problem with a DHCP router, WINS, or a
misconfiguration of the server somewhere?

> Any ideas out there?

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

They are pointed to the router's IP as the DNS. The router is giving its own IP as the DNS address. I have no internet access problems, though. Maybe I should try and get the ICS working and have the server give out the DHCP and other addresses as well, perhaps?

----- Danny Sanders wrote: -----

Possibly DNS.

What DNS server are the XP clients pointed to?

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Jason" <monster@crazyforme.com> wrote in message
> I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server. It's setup and configured as
properly as I can tell. My clients are Windows XP Pro. All machines are
fully updated, and all are experiencing the same problem.
>> About every other day, or sometimes throughout the day, a client somehow
gets booted from the domain. If I try to access a printer on the domain, it
says I don't have rights. The same with trying to access the folders on the
server, and trying to add a domain user as a admin to the client. It tells
me the domain is unavailable. The only resolution that MS gives is to take
the client off the domain, and then re-add it. Problem is, this happens very
frequently. Could this be a problem with a DHCP router, WINS, or a
misconfiguration of the server somewhere?
>> Any ideas out there?

> They are pointed to the router's IP as the DNS. The router is giving its
own IP as the DNS address. I have no internet access problems, though. Maybe
I should try and get the ICS working and have the server give out the DHCP
and other addresses as well, perhaps?

If this is a Win 2k domain, the fact that they are pointing to the router
for DNS. A Win 2k domain MUST have a DNS server that supports SRV records.
Does the router?

If I were you I would set up DNS on the Win 2k server, point the DNS server
to itself for DNS in the properties of TCP/IP, point all AD clients to the
Win 2k DNS server ONLY. For Internet access set up the Win 2k DNS server to
forward requests and list the router as the forwarder (I am assuming the
router forwards DNS queries to your ISP's DNS server) or you may be able to
just list your ISP's DNS server as the forwarder. Test to see.

See:
Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202